General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:22 PM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a little help

Not a mustang but a 97 Explorer. I just received a call at work about the mother-in-laws explorer not running. This is all I know....97 Explorer....V6, 150-170K miles.

It starts but shutters and turns off. I do not know if it is imediate or when put into gear..automatic. My first asumption would be fuel delivery filter maybe. Or a cylynder not firing.

The car is a daily driver and is driven pretty much everday without any previous problems.

Given what I have posted ...very little..does anyone have any good ideas or a starting point to start troubleshooting?

EDIT: I will be driving 30 some miles to look at this problem reason why I am asking so I know what to take with me.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:35 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need a little help

Does it stay running if you keep your foot on the gas pedal?? It could be a number of completely different and unrelated problems. So some more info would be a little helpful. But the IAC (idle air control) comes to mind.
-P.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 PM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

Well after I got out there I started it up and you did need to hold the gas in to keep her running. Since I had already bought the filter I went ahead and replaced it. The one that came off was fine. I drove it around the block a little bit and cam back let it idle for 20 mins and no problems. Cut it off let a sit a few and it fired right up. Mother-in-law said it started right up this morning with no problems either. I cannot explain how a new filter would fix this at all if the old one wasn't clogged. Of course she doesn't tell me about the check engine lights till after I am all cleaned up, so no codes ran on it, the light wasn't on when I started it but she said it had been going on and off. Told her if it happens again take it to a pro.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm ? Either an intermittent problem or that filter was worse than you tought. Maybe there was water in the filter and you let it out