General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water injection for performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Water injection for performance

ORIGINAL: poobank

ttt
Why did you ttt this? All the questions have been answered on this topic. If you are just trying to boost your post count I highly suggest you stop now. Post whoring in the tech sections is grounds for a banning.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Thank you all for your input.

Yes, I agree this will most likely do nothing more than get rid of some carbon and have little effect on power since.

I have not done much with this but I have most of the junk needed to actually rig up a water injection system.

I picked up the windsheld washer concentrate a 12V pupm, and tubing. It is easy enough to tap into engine vacum soplace but that means no injection when the motor is under load.

There is probably a way to tap into either a vacum signal or an electrical signal so the pump kicks in when there is low engine vacum and ignition is on. This would make it prety much fool proof...just gotta watch I don't leave the key on.

If any of you have an idea where I connect to get a signal without making much of a mess I'd apreciate it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

if you set on a diy project that runs off of vaccum instead of a pump try to duplicate the mr. freeze...but for 190 bucks you should just buy it and not risk hydrolocking your engine

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/mr-freeze.html
Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

A little bit of water can actually help clean away some carbon build ups.
True! A trick from back in the day!!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Good point turbostang
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

this has been discussed on the forum before. the injection doesn't boost hp at all....it allows you to add more timing to boosted applications because it cools the incoming air, so you make more power.

for boosted apps...it can be good, but if you tuned for meth/water injection and all of a sudden it fails your motor instantly would go boom. to me it would be a strictly track only mod....buts that's just me

for n/a waste

Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miliock

this has been discussed on the forum before. the injection doesn't boost hp at all....it allows you to add more timing to boosted applications because it cools the incoming air, so you make more power.

for boosted apps...it can be good, but if you tuned for meth/water injection and all of a sudden it fails your motor instantly would go boom. to me it would be a strictly track only mod....buts that's just me

for n/a waste

Cooler air = more horsepower. So a water meth injection does increase HP. Yes, you get more HP by advancing the timing as well, but the cooler air alone will also boost the HP. That is what an intercooler does, or what a CAI does. Colder denser air = more HP. I am running it on an engine with 10 PSI of boost (procharger.) My timing isn;t aggressive at all (because of the issue you mentioned with running into an issue and all of a sudden having the engine blow.) But even playing it conservative like I am doing, there is a difference in HP.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a system having the ability to detect knock and retard timing is must.

This would save the engine in case you get caught with no water in the reservoir etc....

Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Oh, and just in case you were curious, yes this was a popular thing to do with WWII aircraft. But they could only run it for a limited amount of time. It was called War Emergency Power (WEP for short.) Some systems used just water, while others used a water-methanol mixture. Some of the really primative ones simply allowed the throttle to open a bit more letting a little more air in.

It was basically used when you needed just a little extra power for a short period of time.

I spend way too much time watching WWII documentaries and learning about their technologies, lol. I even spend a fair aount of time playing an online WWII simulation that uses realistic damage models, vehicles, ships, planes, etc. The map is over 117,000 square miles (actual miles.) Quite a fun game! But now I'm drifting way OT.