General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crap in my motor oil !

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:22 AM
brlabrune

Default Crap in my motor oil !

I have just purchased a 347 stroker that had approximately 2000 miles on it since built. I have changed it from the carb style to fuel injected. I just put new oil in it and fired it for the first time since i changed it over. It ran fine, idled ok, had good responsiveness. It has a high volume oil pump which carried about 62-70 psi constant. The fuel pressure was low at 30-32 psi considering it has a 255lph pump and 30#injectors. I was being precautious so i decided to drain a little oil out to inspect it and it appeared like like a snotty substance was in it. there was no bubbles in it. the temp guage was fine. What the heck could it be? any ideas would help if anyone else has ran into this issue. thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Crap in my motor oil !

Sounds like sludge. Sludge is water mixed in the oil.
Check to see if you have oil in the coolant. This would indicate a leak that is taking place right now[&o]

The stuff could be there from before.

The question here is: How well did you prep the motor before installing it ? Did you flush and change fluids ?

How much of this snot did you find ? a little could have been just there from before .....
Old 09-24-2006, 01:45 PM
brlabrune

When i removed the carb style intake i drained the oil, i didnt notice it then. The radiator that came with it was a fms aluminum 3 core, which was pretty nasty inside(rusty sludge) I didnt use that radiator as i already had a becool radiator and black magic electric fan. I beleive i prepped it to standard. There was no smoke from the exhaust at all, i looked for white or blue smoke for any telltale signs which it did not have. Do i go get more oil and filter and start over to see if there is crap in it again? I find it hard pressed to think there would be any internal issues as the previous car it was in ran really stout. All guages read in normal range (except fuel psi 30-32lbs) Maybe i am overreacting, but with an investment like this i need to be cautious. Thanks for all help as i appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

Well again - how much stuff are we talking about here ? could it be someresidual stuff left inside the pan or oil galleries ?

The gunk in the radiator will not get into the oil. If it does U know you got big problems[&:]

For the cost of the oil, I would drain it again and maybe crank her over a few times with no spark and a little kerosene in the lubricating system - or - U can use your favorite procedure for cleaning out the lubrication system. Drain the crankase completely then start all over with fresh oil and filter.
If the gunk returns again.......[:'(]
Old 09-24-2006, 08:08 PM
brlabrune

It doesnt seem like alot. I am going to start it up and get it to normal operating temperatures (around 180) and then watch the oil pressure and drain the oil after that. I am thinking it is just residues that built up since the engine had not been started in awhile. I appreciate your help on this. thank you.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

No problem man!!! glad to help

If it is very little it may even boil off once you run the motor hot for a while.

Let us know how it turns out