General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Off road H is In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Off road H is In!!!

Naw, just install a set of electrically operated exhaust cut-outs so you can go with open pipes when you really want to wake up your neighbors! LOL The fact that they are illegal in most states is just a technicality anyway! When's the last time you saw a quiet Harley going down the highway?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:31 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundmanracing

Naw, just install a set of electrically operated exhaust cut-outs so you can go with open pipes when you really want to wake up your neighbors! LOL The fact that they are illegal in most states is just a technicality anyway! When's the last time you saw a quiet Harley going down the highway?
true, but when is the last time you saw a loud harley get pulled over???

never
Old 07-27-2004, 04:13 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i had electic cut outs on my f-250. 351M with open long tubes and an extreme cam....ooooo that sounds good. they were in plain site and i never was pulled over for them. electic cut outs are a must with long tubes
Old 07-27-2004, 04:30 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matthockey32

longtubes, no cats, no mufflers. 3.5 inch pipes. that is sickening.
I have open 3" Hooker Comp long tubes on my '65 Pontiac with a 400ci hot cam dual quad engine, and Jeevus Criminy it's ****ing LOUD! [:-] My neighbors hate me when I fire it up, and no way in hell would I drive it down the street. I wouldn't make it past my block before somebody called the cops. The sound is absolutely brutal.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

my neighbors hate me. i just tell them the more they hate on it, the faster i will save money up for the supercharger. then they will have to deal with louder exhaust and a loud blower.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:12 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

those damn cut out are sweet as hell nothing like seeing the guys eyes went you blow by
Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Open pipes are also a lot of fun at the strip when good looking babes are walking by and you fire up your motor when they have their backs to you! Some of them take it in stride but others jump up like they just stepped on a snake or something. Then they give you that evil eye look and you just put it in gear and smile as you pull out to go to the staging lanes. I especially like to do it to those who walk right through my pit space by my car with me sitting there in it and they act like I'm not even there. Getting even is fun! LOL
Old 07-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

What DO you have done to your car roundman?

I know you're all about suspension and slicks, but what exactly?
Oh and lightening too.

You've got NO engine work done?
Not even an ignition?(dunno if they help alot for stock engines, but I definatly feel a differance!)
Old 07-28-2004, 12:46 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Well OB, you asked for it so here it is, a list of all the mods I have done on my '88 hatchback GT. (not necessarily in order done)
1-removed intake air silencer, installed K&N filter and built homemade ram air system from hole in bumper where foglite used to be
2-installed Hypertech computer chip on ECU
3-removed for weight savings the foglites and steel support for them, front sway bar, all stock seats and seat belts, smog pump, AC compressor and condenser and hoses, power steering pump and rack, stock fan and radiator, spare tire and jack, radio, center console, underhood insulation, radio speakers, stock H-pipe with cats, mufflers and tailpipes, horns, windshield wipers, wiper motor, wiper washer reservoir and hoses, stock engine lifting plates, EGR valve
4-installed MAC equal length shorty headers 1-5/8"
5-installed Autometer Pro Comp 2-5/8" mechanical gauges for fuel pressure, oil pressure, and engine temperature, and electric gauges for volts and transmission temperature
6-installed lightweight Kirkey racing seat and Simpson 5 point racing harness
7-installed Art Carr Extreme AOD tranny with full manual valve body, SFI flexplate, 2,500 rpm stall converter and aluminum pan
8-installed B & M racing transmission cooler
9-installed Eibach drag racing springs all 4 corners with air bag in right rear spring
10-installed Competition Engineering 90/10 front struts
11-installed HPM Megabyte Jr. lower control arms with poly bushings and adjustable upper control arms with aluminum roller bearing bushings
12-installed Strange Engineering complete 9" Ford rear end with lightweight weight steel spool, 4.56 gears, 35 spline axles, and big Ford drum brakes
13-installed Hurst Line Lock
14-installed Centerline AutoDrag wheels front and rear-15" x 5" on front with skinny tires, 15" x 8" or rear with Hooiser 26" x 9" slicks
15-installed Lakewood driveshaft safety loop
16-installed Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
17-installed Pacemaker subframe connectors
18-installed Competition Engineering pinion snubber
19-installed Ford racing aluminum radiator
20-installed Flexilite electric radiator fan
21-installed Flaming River manual rack and pinion steering system with poly bushing and adjustable tie rod ends
22-installed Ford racing spark plug wire set and new distributor cap and rotor
23-installed Accel shorty spark plugs for extra clearance around headers for plug wires
24-installed Moroso solid steel motor mounts
25-removed rear wing, had it freshly painted and reinstalled it
26-removed EGR valve and plugged passageway in upper manifold with marine epoxy compound and disconnected the cooling lines to the EGR spacer
I have not done anything else to the engine other than change the valve cover gaskets and the engine has over 108,000 miles on it now.
I also have a new firewall to install to isolate the back of the hatch area so I can move the battery to the back and install a fuel cell.
All in all I think I have spent close to $8,000 over the last ten years doing these mods. I did everything myself but the installation of the subframe connectors because I can't weld. My racing buddy did assist with the tranmission install but I bought the tranny jack and tall jackstand. I also bought my friend's old 24' enclosed trailer for $5,500 that I keep the Stang in now and use to take it to the strip.
Now do you see why I don't list my mods in my signature?????
Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

How much weight didja shave off?
And why not invest in a Fiberglass hood and hatch?

Edit: Also, Motormounts? Why bother? Thought they were more of a high HP item when you run out of things to do?
No idea

And, why a line lock system? you have an auto!
Unless you only have one leg?

Quick Reply: Off road H is In!!!