General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My top is leaking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Jeffs_GTstang

Default My top is leaking!!!

Alright...the first fault I can find in my '96 GT since I bought it last week. The convertible top is leaking. It looks like I just need to replace some of the weather stripping. Heres the question...anyone know where I can order new weather stripping online for my Mustang. THanks...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My top is leaking!!!

I haven't looked into the weather stripping, but I know Ford has a TSB on 96 'verts concerning leaking weather stripping. They have a "upgrade" kit they sell to solve the problem. I'd start at Ford. If you want more info on the TSB let me know.

My '96 is leaking too, but I'm pretty sure it's the top itself. I'm going to try and stem the tide with some silicon. <grin>
Old 07-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

Where can you get aftermarket convertible parts?

I know you can get tops and weatherstripping from 5.0resto, but what about hard parts like the top lifter arms,
arm bolts nuts bushings....etc?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:14 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

You might try Mustangs Unlimited. They used to carry nearly everything for my 64.5, and they were starting to carry a lot more late model stuff. Might want to check with them.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Kat

I'm a new member - my '99 GT is leaking, too. I read in one of your posts a while back that your rear window looked "pushed" in about 1/4" - I have the same problem! When it rains (but not when I wash it) water pools in the plastic behind the rear seat and if we get enough rain the flooring behind the passenger seat gets soaked. I suspect that my window is not the only problem, and I know that the weather stripping there needs to be replaced. Have you fixed your leaking problem? Did you figure out what's up with that rear window? Any help you, or anyone, can offer would be greatly appreciated!

THX!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Search the net for convertible tops, there are lots of places to get what you need. You don't need to get Ford products.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

Sorry Kat. I've been busy as a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest lately. I've nearly forgotten the forums existed. No offense guys....

If you've got water collecting in the rear...can't think of the name right now....the plastic your top folds down into, it's probably your rear window. The other possiblity though is your drip rail is clogged. There is a rail that runs around the inner lip of your car that "catches" moisture and shunts it off down the inner quarter panel to the outside. If it's clogged your going to get some overflow into that top collection area. If that is the case, any overflow that doesn't stay in the plastic cover will run down under your rear seat. I don't think it would run into the rear floor though...that is probably a different issue.

No, I still haven't fixed mine. I don't use the back seat a lot, so I just keep it pulled up to keep the sound padding dry, and mop the water up after a rain. It's not a great deal of water maybe, 1/4 cup or so. Sometimes only on one side, sometimes on both. Weird. I'll let you know if/when I get a chance to chase the leak down. Several folks have suggested the "drains" from inside the car may be clogged. Apparently 'verts have a tendency to do that.

I want to make sure of something...your '99 GT is a convertible right?