General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please - Help with convertible water leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Dan Alesandro

Default Please - Help with convertible water leak

I have a 2003 convertible that is getting water in the passenger side rear foot well when it rains. I can hear water sloshing around in the frame near the rear wheel for about a day after it rains hard. I am trying to figure out how water is supposed to drain from the lip around the base of the convertible top. I put a hose on it and can see from the inside of behind the rear seat that water runs into a metal "pocket" inside the car where the top front edge is attached. I get some water coming out down below under the car where I think the jack is supposed to attach. There is a notch in the metal and a small hole here where water is draining.

Does anyone know if the above described situation is normal? Where is water supposed to drain from the bottom of the convertible top?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
eznet

Default RE: Please - Help with convertible water leak

I feel your plight. I too have a mustang convertible with a leak. Mine is a white 1994 convertible I recently obtained from a family member up north. The had no problems with leaks, but also have little rain. I, on the other hand, live in Alabama and it rains heavily, constantly. We recently noticed the read passenger floor board being wet. After a good downpour we checked it and the floor was dry.... that was until we drove the car, then the water once again sloshed into the floorboard. This problem is very irritating. I think what is most irritating is not being able to get a straight answer on the issue. It seems to apply to make year models and seems to be a widespread problem but no one has a fix. I have even found numerous post claiming that people fixed their problem by cleaning a mysterious clogged drain hole but their responses always cease when you ask where it is.

I am on the hunt, and will find it - even if I have to tear the car apart myself. I will repost if I ever find it... let me know if you find the same.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

ok the rear of the convertible is actually attached to the inside of the car and when up it is not completly water tight, some water flows down the inside pannels and should just drain thru drain holes, but if they are plugged by leaves and other stuff it wont drain, take off the rear speaker covers and look below the convertible piston infront of the rear wheel well....

there should be a hole down there to let the water drain
just get an ice pick or even coat hanger and clean it out , also this will deter it from rusting your rear fenders out

Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 PM
danrdz06

I have a 2006 convertible GT, it is designed so that the water pocketed in the sides of the top drains down to the floor but there is nothing keeping it from flowing into the car once it drains down causing pockets of water under my rear seats....brand new car shouldnt do this [:@] is there a recall or somekind of drain or something that i can do????????????? Last thing i wanna do is take it to the dealer, they have no clue what theyre doing overhere at the dealers.