General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Repair Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Bugeyes

Default Repair Manuals

Hello,
Just bought an 89 LX 5.0 and we're going to try and do some stuff under the hood ourselves. We'll start out slow and see where that takes us. Could someone please direct me to a good repair manual, one with tons of photos please. An on-line version if possible. Haynes Publications are OK but leave out some important details that the "driveway mechanic" (goin out on a limb here calling us any kind of mechanics) desperately needs.

Job #1: Replace the lines to the power steering pump. One connection is leaking and has made a mess of both lines. One line goes from the pump to the radiator (does the power steering fluid need to be cooled?) and the second from the radiator to a metal tube that connects to the rack and pinion. All 4 connection are held in place with band clamps.

Thanks for your time,
Rob
Old 08-15-2004, 03:52 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Repair Manuals

Chiltons is a really good one.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

I like the manuals that i have at work. Stright from FORD. I dont think you can order them. But i dont like Chiltons or haynes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I bought the factory Ford Service manuals for my '88 right after I bought the car. Don't know if there are still in print, but you can try contacting:
Ford Parts and Service Division
Fairlane Technical Center
P.O. Box 1902
Dearborn, Michigan 48121
BTW, that line to the radiator is the cooling line for the power steering system. On my AOD model, the cooler for the power steering is just a loop of steel line mounted in front of the radiator on the right hand side looking to the engine from the front.
The higher pressure power steering lines don't use band clamps, so you might want to go to NAPA or some other parts store and get the correct ones with the swedged on metal connectors. They should have them pre-bent to fit exactly like the stock ones did.The pump suction line is low pressure and the band clamp is OK there. Also make sure you get the proper size flare line wrenches to work on these fittings with as they are easy to round off with an open end wrench and when I removed mine, they were also very tight and I wouldn't have got them loose without the flare wrench.
FLASH UPDATE: in the back of the newest Ford Racing parts catalog it says for Ford Motor Company official shop manuals and wiring diagrams contact "Helm Publications" at 1-800-782-4356. don't know how far back they still have ones in print, but a free phone call can't hurt now can it?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Bugeyes

Hey,
Thanks for the replies!

Roundman.......that was the cooling line, runs up in front of the radiator just as you said. I noticed it when I took a closer look. I replaced both return lines and 4 new clamps. 24 hours later and still no leaks.

Now on to job#2: Anti freeze dripping out of a rubber hose (hose comes through the fire wall 12 (+or-) inches below the heater / AC lines right next to the manifold). I'm told this is the heater box drain line, and probably means the heater core is leaking and means the dash has to come out. Any and all tips on this job welcome.

FYI Helm Publication (http://www.helminc.com) didn't have the shop manual ($52) for my car in stock. I'm waiting to hear if it will be restocked.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 08-17-2004, 06:13 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

sounds like the heater core is leaking and you do have to remove the entire dash in order to get access to remove it from the heater box itself. i've never done it, but others out here say it is a royal pain in the *** to do.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
skiingsean

I helped a friend replace a heater core in a early 90's Suburban.. And let me tell you it <WAS> a royal pain in the ***. One sure fire way to tell if your heater core is leaking (well almost always) , Do you smell Antifreeze when you turn the heater on comming out of the vents? If not it might be worth check just to see if the return line is leaking outside of the firewall area (in the engine compartment)

Sorry if I didnt read your post thoroughly and you explained that one.

Hope it helps

Sean
Old 09-02-2004, 07:41 PM
blown87Gt
1st Gear Member

haynes go through a complet brak down and rebuild of all model year cars try them