General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Is it worth going to a ford dealership?

Old 08-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Stangsational
2nd Gear Member

Default Is it worth going to a ford dealership?

I want to get my car checked up, and maybe look into a few problems like idle valve, and check engine sensor along with a couple of others.

Do you guys think it worth it? or jus go to a regular mechanic.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:00 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it worth going to a ford dealership?

dont realy know. when i go to the dealership, parts and labor are "under the table"
Old 08-17-2004, 03:56 AM
ParrotHead
2nd Gear Member

I would call a few different places. Dealerships usually put the screws to you on prices. Myself, I go to a local speed shop. %99 of the cars that they work on are Ford powered and they are a hell of a lot cheaper then the dealer.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

unless you or your friends know about a really competent independent shop mechanic, I would go to the dealership as they have the factory trained technicians and all the factory tools to diagnose and correct any problems. Yeah, the labor and parts may be higher, but the dealership tends to stand behind their work as they have reputation to keep and don't want unhappy customers. plus they are privy to all the technical service bulletins issued by the factory about troubleshooting problems and the newest fixes from the factory for things that are failing since the cars were first designed and built.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:36 AM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

unless you or your friends know about a really competent independent shop mechanic, I would go to the dealership as they have the factory trained technicians and all the factory tools to diagnose and correct any problems. Yeah, the labor and parts may be higher, but the dealership tends to stand behind their work as they have reputation to keep and don't want unhappy customers. plus they are privy to all the technical service bulletins issued by the factory about troubleshooting problems and the newest fixes from the factory for things that are failing since the cars were first designed and built.
I agree unless you know a shop that you REALLY trust, I would just pay a little more and know its getting done right the first time.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:30 AM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Ive found the dealership is usually over priced on labor to work on cars, Usually a private mechanic's are usually give ya better deals with work done on youre cars.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 AM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

Yeah thats true its just a matter of finding a shop that you trust with your car.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:10 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

and today that's harder and harder to do as the cars are that much more complicated to work on.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Duffs302
2nd Gear Member

I take mine to the Ford dealer all the time but it does cost more, at least its done right.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:46 AM
ParrotHead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TattooTears

Yeah thats true its just a matter of finding a shop that you trust with your car.

The shop that I use, see if you think I can trust these guys. First time that I pulled up to it there were more Cobras, Saleens, Fox's, and various other mustangs then I have ever seen at a car show. They build pro-stock cars, funny cars, you name it. Oh, the name of the shop is JBA. Yup, the place that makes the headers! I hit a gold mine....Great guys too.