General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

amsoil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:46 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: amsoil question

Well the things I have learn over the years is, If you change youre motor oil with good oil youre engine should last for along time, My friend bought his 89 GT brand new off the ford dealers lot, I believe he has 600,000 km on that engine, I runs a little weak, But hes got the service records since day one. Plus if you let youre oil changes go over their miles, The black colored oil creates Black carbon deposits on youre engines parts.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:03 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

When we used to take the Banshee's to the Badlands there were always some of these guys that had modded and stroked Shee's. They used Amsoil in them and I kid you not, there was always at least 2 being towed back in because they blew them up. I used to be part of www.bansheehq.com and they all agree not to use Amsoil. Might be different for cars, but thats my experience with it. (In a 2 stroke)
Old 08-24-2004, 04:07 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

yeah, I used to race go karts. Amsoil was trying really hard with it for the 4cycle karts. I heard so many bad things about it that I never even tried it. But again.. this was go karts
Old 08-27-2004, 12:47 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

hmmm... a lot of good info in here!!! thanks a lot to all of you that replied! thats nice to know because i was just getting ready to switch to amsoil in my yamaha blaster. as for the stang, im keeping the mobil 1 ! i like it a lot and its good stuff, so do you guys think i should run that additive? as for the engine flush kit, i think im just gonna leave that alone, our friend and mechanic can STEAM CLEAN the engine, this would remove all deposites and carbon buld up from the intake to the bottome end!!! what do you guys think about that??? has any one ever had this done? it seems like it would work very good. thanks again! oh and the flush is $100
Old 08-27-2004, 12:47 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Quite a few years ago I began using Castrol Syntec in my race car, (big Block Mopar), Engine bearing wear never became a problem. E.T.'s dropped .03-.05.
At the time there had been some print media stories about 'More Horsepower, lower ET' with the stuff. Itried it and it worked........
Old 08-28-2004, 04:22 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

hmmm..... castrol syntec and mobil 1 are just aboutt eh same right? syntec isnt any better than the mobils 1 is it? thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

is valvoline durablend any good? because i use 10W-40 durablend in my 91 5.0 with 140k miles on it. by the way how do i perform an engine flush? hehehe...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:27 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

the flush in the bottle u put in before u change your oil, then run it for a certain amount of time, then change ur oil as you normally would. and does the $100 flush fog work good?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:30 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well first the oil filter is just important...I use only hastings or amsoil hasting makes the filter for amsoil...next ..thier is no need to really change you oil at 3 k that was just made up by the oil companies..when using syst. oil 5k would be my target....as for flushing the engine it's ok if only you use one that disolves sludge if not your oil pump screen will get clogged...bg products MOA is the only one I have ever used....another thing if your oil doesn't get dirty then it's not working in cleaning the engine..
.using a magnet on your oil filter will help trap parrticles...also a magnetic drain plug..
but if you want the engine to last say for 500k then and oil primer would do this as it primer the engine to a preset psi before the engine will start..they run like 400.00 or so
keeping a nice clean oil filter goes a long way in keep the oil clean as does a high flow pcv valve
Old 08-31-2004, 01:16 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

allrigth thanks a lot! oh that reminds me i should change my pcv valve, is there a certain type to go for?

Quick Reply: amsoil question