General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical Problems after installing shift light, need help really bad!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:54 PM
zennx
1st Gear Member

Default Electrical Problems after installing shift light, need help really bad!

Hi guys I have a major dillema on my hands. I started to install a shift light in my car and only wired up the power and ground for now theres a lot of stuff in my car that won't work. The speed and tach work but the gauges around it (oil press., water temp) all are dead. In addition, my rear defroster won't work, and my power locks (the power windows do work however), and my air bag light comes on. When I try to signal the right one blinks really fast and the left one makes this weird noise but none of those work either. I didn't do anything to my car I can think of to make it do this. I checked a lot of the fuses and all of them seem to be fine. Please guys I really need your help big time on this. This is a '94 btw. All I did was take a few panels off, tap into the stock radio power, and put a ground on the chassis. and I took the two screws on one side of the instrument cluster to put my wiring around. Then I put everything back together. Please HELP!

Ted
Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 PM
e40water
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Electrical Problems after installing shift light, need help really bad!

Did you make sure you disconnected youre battery before you added installing shift light? I would try dissconecting the the negitive battery post for least a few mins, then hopefully the computer will reset it self. If not you my have a wire short some where.

Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:30 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Electrical Problems after installing shift light, need help really bad!

Remove the wires you made and see if it goes away, it sounds like something has grounded out. It wouldnt be a fuse.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:43 AM
zennx
1st Gear Member

I did have the battery disconnected but I reconnected it to check for some power sources with my multimeter, something must of went wrong there because I think somewhere down the line a fuse blew in my multimeter also and that was the first place I started at was the stereo, i'm gonna go mess with it right now.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:13 PM
zennx
1st Gear Member

well, fixed the problem, last night I started unscrewing the 10mm bolt on the computer by the kick panel to look for the tan wire with yellow stripe to tap into. I never found it and forgot to tighten that bolt up, ended up fixing the problem. I think instead of taking that whole box out i'm just going to go through the firewall and tap the wire by the coil instead. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it. THings get frustrating sometimes, lol.

Ted