General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Windows/Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 AM
SilverStang86

Default Power Windows/Locks

Alright guys, my 96 v6 came with manual windows and locks. I officially hate that. I didnt think that they would be that bad, but when you want both windows down and ur trying to drive and reach across the passenger seat to roll down the window it gets on your nerves. Not to mention when you have them down driving down the road and it just starts raining. [:'(]

Soooo... I want to change to power windows and locks. What would be the easiest conversion for me? cheapest? should i look in to some junk yards and just get the whole door panel? I will also need to know what i will need to do for the wiring. Any info will be a great help, thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:04 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Power Windows/Locks

junkyard is the way to go and make sure you get the entire wiring harness for the door in addition to the switches and solenoids and electric gearmotor for the window
Old 09-08-2004, 01:34 AM
SilverStang86

Is all of the wiring in the door? or will it run from the door to any of the dash???
Old 09-08-2004, 09:35 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Based on what I saw taking my passenger side motor out, the wiring harness for both the door locks and power windows is a fat one that comes through the A pillar into the door and runs across under the dash to the other door since you can control the passenger side from the driver's side switches. My best guess is that this swap from manual to electric will take a lot of time to do and require a lot of work to do unless you get lucky and the main harness is already in place but not connected at the door ends because the car didn't come stock with these options. Sometimes they use a standard harness which will accept all the possible options and only plug in the ones the car order come with.