General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Police Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Police Speed

All EM radiation travels the same speed under the same conditions. Nothin' real special about the narrow band we can actually see.
ORIGINAL: NvRdoNeStAnGsIx

Actually, radio waves are slightly slower then light.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

All EM radiation travels the same speed under the same conditions. Nothin' real special about the narrow band we can actually see.

yep, visible AND radio waves travel at the speed of light. radio waves just have less photon energy...im a physics maj.

anyways...back to the polic...i was just wondering...i heard that they beef up the state trooper cars a little and figured you guys would have a better idea than most people.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Police cars are beefed up primarily in their suspensions, cooling systems, and electrical circuits. There are some pursuit models that are hard to get a hold of. I had an '88 Crown Vic police special that came out of the factory with a 351-4v and full dual exhaust with no cats, all factory built (paperwork was still in the car). It didn't really start accelerating until 40mph or so. 120 was a good cruising speed and there was plenty of pedal left.

I stopped my physics double major 1 year before it was complete. Prof's didn't like all my questions.
ORIGINAL: Black_GT_02

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

yep, visible AND radio waves travel at the speed of light. radio waves just have less photon energy...im a physics maj.

anyways...back to the polic...i was just wondering...i heard that they beef up the state trooper cars a little and figured you guys would have a better idea than most people.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

haha...questions are a good thing

thanks for the information.

another little side question...my tint is illegal...can cops pull me over JUST because they see the tint..or do they need me to 'supposidly' cross over a line or something of that effect?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

My cousin went on a ride along one night with a Fort Wayne cop,

and like most of you have said, the Crown Vics are capable of 140's or so, and ideal for highway chases with other faster cars..

he was told the Impalas max out at 115 in this area
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

In Japan they have a few Nissan Skylines up in the mountains. Read about it in some magazine. I'm not much for imports, but I wouldn't want to mess with a Skyline. As tuning is big in japan, I'm sure they probably aren't stock, but even so, I stock Skyline isn't something to mess with. My friend said in Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift movie that they said that you could go faster than like 135 and cops wouldn't mess with you over there in Tokyo; however, if anyone knows anything about Tokyo...goodluck finding enough road and space to get up that fast. I know New York has bad traffic, but it's worse over there. never been there, but I just know

Anyways, those Dodge Chargers are pretty quick, but you have to remember, the police department isn't spending a crap load of money on mods to the engine. Maybe just removing the speed limiter, upgrading suspension, etc...handling and reliability is their main issue. Other than that, they're just cars. Although, didn't Steve Saleen make a few SSP Mustangs.

Here's a little bit about the SSP mustangs although not necessarily Saleens Police Trim version. The SSP started in 82, around 400 were ordered for California Highway Patrol. These got from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, plus you could get 5 speeds. They were lighter, handled better, and yes cheaper. THey also didn't have powertraing problems like the Camaro did when it was attempted at the position. Some for sure in later years, came with 5.0 HO engines, which when joined with a 5spd wasn't a bad combo, the speedometer was calibrated officially to 160. The things were quick and ready for high speed chases, but not really suitable for everyday use.

I was watching an old school cops and they called in one of these bad boys to chase down a BMW cuz the standard cops couldn't catch it.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM
NvRdoNeStAnGsIx
2nd Gear Member

I have a feeling one day ima get pulled over by one for doing like 135 in a 65.. maybe they're recruit me as a driver. =P
Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

on streetfire there is a vid of a police package crown vic turning a 15 something quarter mile. 4.6 block with forged internals I think making somewhere around 280 crank.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

Not sure about the crown's but i had a State Trooper in a Z28 pull up behind me on I-220 going over 140mph. Needless to say i didnt see him till it was to late. 3 nights in jail 1600$ in fines and lost my lic for 6 months!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

My cousin went on a ride along one night with a Fort Wayne cop,

and like most of you have said, the Crown Vics are capable of 140's or so, and ideal for highway chases with other faster cars..

he was told the Impalas max out at 115 in this area

dude, i live 20 minutes from fort wayne...thats pretty crazy.

Quick Reply: Police Speed