General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Police Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:25 AM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Police Speed

ORIGINAL: dastangman

In Japan they have a few Nissan Skylines up in the mountains. Read about it in some magazine. I'm not much for imports, but I wouldn't want to mess with a Skyline. As tuning is big in japan, I'm sure they probably aren't stock, but even so, I stock Skyline isn't something to mess with. My friend said in Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift movie that they said that you could go faster than like 135 and cops wouldn't mess with you over there in Tokyo; however, if anyone knows anything about Tokyo...goodluck finding enough road and space to get up that fast. I know New York has bad traffic, but it's worse over there. never been there, but I just know

Anyways, those Dodge Chargers are pretty quick, but you have to remember, the police department isn't spending a crap load of money on mods to the engine. Maybe just removing the speed limiter, upgrading suspension, etc...handling and reliability is their main issue. Other than that, they're just cars. Although, didn't Steve Saleen make a few SSP Mustangs.

Here's a little bit about the SSP mustangs although not necessarily Saleens Police Trim version. The SSP started in 82, around 400 were ordered for California Highway Patrol. These got from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, plus you could get 5 speeds. They were lighter, handled better, and yes cheaper. THey also didn't have powertraing problems like the Camaro did when it was attempted at the position. Some for sure in later years, came with 5.0 HO engines, which when joined with a 5spd wasn't a bad combo, the speedometer was calibrated officially to 160. The things were quick and ready for high speed chases, but not really suitable for everyday use.

I was watching an old school cops and they called in one of these bad boys to chase down a BMW cuz the standard cops couldn't catch it.
My uncle had a Georgia State Patrole Mustang in the 80s w/ the 160 MPG gauge, but like the late 80s and early 90s 5.0 HO Mustangs sold to the public...it too would go about 135 at best. None of the patrole Mustangs would go over 130-135 w/o modifications.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Ah, well I know they had 160 MPH speedometers...however, I suppose, just because they're calibrated to that speed doesn't mean they are allowed to get there. Still pretty quick for a cop car, especially with the 5spd. Although, I heard a few cops actually preferred the auto (which in most cases were only given to unmarked Lt.s). The reason behind this: It's kinda hard to mess with electronics, have full attention on surroundings, communicate on the walkie talkies, shine the spotlight, type in a computer, etc while constantly having to shift. Plus, I heard a story on some forum about a cop who totalled one of the brand new 5 spd stangs they got in California at the time. Used to just popping the vehicle in park and hopping out on pursuit...the cop just hopped out in pursuit of a felon without putting the Ebrake on, dunno if it was in a gear or not...but it rolled backwards and crashed.

But what if they want acceleration like a manual, why don't they just install shift kits into the auto police vehicles. Wouldn't be exactly the same, but pretty darn close without having to physically shift.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

I guess the bottomline is you can out run the cop, but not the radio...
BINGO!