General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Better handling for my '95? Strut bar? etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
adr3naline fix

Default Better handling for my '95? Strut bar? etc

Looking to make my suspension a little more stiff/solid for better handling.

Would some 1.5-1.9 in lowering springs be a good choice?

And would a strut bar like this make a noticable/big improvement? (is it worth the $25 or so?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230076856729&f romMakeTrack
Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Not4you

Default RE: Better handling for my '95? Strut bar? etc

IMO stick with a triangulated stb like the one from MAC Performance. They definitely make a difference straight away. Also look into subframe connectors if you haven't already.

If you go with the springs, don't forget the camber/caster plates, offset rack bushings, bump steer kitand the shocks/struts.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:15 PM
adr3naline fix

You can't just replace the current springs with the adftermarket lowering springs and keep the rest of the stock equiptment?

Sorry, Im new to the suspension world.

I'm just aiming to get a better handling car around the corners without messing the car up...(so, the Right way). what ever the cheapest way to get to that goal is, i want to know!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Not4you

Lowering the car changes all of the geometry of the suspension & steering. The tires will not sit flat any longer - look at a lot of lowered ricers ... the camber caster plates allow custom alignment of the front wheels to get everything in line with the new stance. Also with the different stiffness and travel, you will want to upgrade the shocks/struts. A bump steer kit adjusts the balljoints keeping the wheels in contact with the ground when hitting bumbs under hard cornering. The offset rack bushings re-align the steering shaft to the new lower geometry.

First step, while saving for a proper suspension upgrade, would be chassis stiffening with a decent strut tower brace (not a rice carbon/aluminum piece), and subframe connectors.

Springs are an improvement but they are also a lot of work to remove - your best to replace the other components while the original springs are coming out. While you have everything apart and the car on a hoist, try upper & lower rear control arms, larger swaybars and poly busings, endlinks and isolators. This is more expensive, obviously, then just springs but do it once and do it right. You'll pay more in labour if you do each step seperately (unless you are a mechanic or have a shop available - I did not).

Just my $0.02.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 01-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Here's a link.
http://www.protoworks.com/cgi-bin/C-C_Wiki.pl