General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 GT Turn Signal Relay...where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:42 PM
mrpleasant

Default 1990 GT Turn Signal Relay...where is it?

OK... my Maintenance Manual tells me it is on the Instrument Cluster support immediately above the fuse panel. So, I wedge myself under the steering wheel, and look all over the place, but can't find it. I even removed the fuse panel to get a better look up above it. No dice. What am I missing?

MrP
Old 10-03-2004, 11:11 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 1990 GT Turn Signal Relay...where is it?

HEHEHE

I can laugh now, because I know EXACTLY what you're going thru. But I wasn't laughing when I was looking for it [:@]

It's located behind the dash, but above the tranny hump. It's right behind the radio. Easier to get to from the passenger side. Turn it on while you're looking for it, and follow the clicking noise.

But the fun starts when you find it. You see, some some dumb-*** engineer not only thought it be smart to make it hard to find and put it away from all the other electronics, but also use a specially made flasher that housed in plastic, and has a small nub so it can be press-fitted into a dash support bar. Mine took quite a bit of effort to get it out (where's the damn engineer when you want him [:@] I've got a butt plug for him). I just replaced it with a normal flasher (like the one in the fuse box) and just let it hang there. Been working fine.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:07 AM
mrpleasant

Default RE: 1990 GT Turn Signal Relay...where is it?

Thanks. I will give it a shot from the passenger side! I don't have the luxury of listening for the relay....it no longer works. But, I do have a normal flasher in hand to replace the press fit original.

Thanks for the advice!

MrP