General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headlight question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Focker

Default headlight question!!

hi i currently drive a 2004 V6 mustang..
and my headlights are very dim...when i make a turn at night, it's very hard to see the curb.

and i was looking at xenon lights and whatnot...

so i was wondering, what is the best way to get brighter and better lights?

replacing my headlights? or just the bulbs?

thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: headlight question!!

The headlights that came with my 04 GT are more than adequate so you might have a ground problem with the wiring.If you can find another Mustang to compare them to by all means do it before commiting to an expensive headlight kit.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
EBBS_96_Cobra
2nd Gear Member

I have to say the same thing as Focker. My head lights are back on my 96 Cobra, and my highbeams are even worse. On dark roads I can't see a damn thing. In the '03 Taurus we used to have, it was the same exact thing, bad head lights, and horrible highbeams. When you get into our Yukon or GTO its a totally different world. I think the GTO uses projectors, but with both cars the highbeams are like daytime.

This is the only reason I was considering projector headlights on my Cobra. I know everyone thinks they're ricy, but I can't see, and its not worth an accident. Is there any other solution? Like a higher intensity light buld, but not one that's a colored bulb (like those blue star ones that have a blueish tint to them).
Old 02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Leeiswho2b
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

The headlights that came with my 04 GT are more than adequate so you might have a ground problem with the wiring.If you can find another Mustang to compare them to by all means do it before commiting to an expensive headlight kit.
+1 on a ground problem.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yeah, about the projector headlights... Those 1pcheadlights for the 94-98.... I have them and they are even worse, you cant adjust the beam and the mounting pose for the bulb is horrible, driving lights are 3ft infront of you and the highs take down helicopters... Those 1pc deals are a bad idea, now for the 2pc glass cobra type, those are great and I highly recomend those.

Now for the bulbs....

Bulbs fade over time instead of just blowing out, as their life goes on they get weaker and weaker and finnaly are thrown out for being too dim or just go out. New bulbs would be a great investment, and since there really isnt a glass replacment for your model you have to keep the stock pod. Dont go over stock wattage though, you dont want to damage things. You could even convert over to a true HID system, but thats costly but well woth it over time.

Brighter H3 foglight bulbs help loads too and are a great addition. I think they are H3 if I remember correctly.

Good Luck.

-Eric-
Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Focker

i was looking on ebay...and icame across some pretty cheap light bulbs...

and i was wondering if they're even worth getting??
i know they're all fake and whatnot, but i just want pretty bright lights..that can cover the curbs...

what about like these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Focker

bump!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem with my 96gt. I had some cheap clear headlights and they sucked. I changed back to oem yellow corners and they are great.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Focker

thanks..anyone else?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Many posts on head lights on the 2005 06 07 section and many recommend the Silverstar headlight bulbs. They can be bought almost at any auto store. I mean grounding maybe a problem but start off looking at the easier stuff first and see if it fixes the problem. I would stay away from the cheap Ebay bulbs that say there is more light output and xenon gas in the bulbs. They are even worse and can cause fires esp when wattages are higher than stock bulbs (55 watts I think). Anyway go to sylvanias website and they can give you the model number as they are the maker of these fine and significanly brighter bulbs. Or if you want to pay 200-800 dollars for and HID system than go for it...but not worth it to me. JMO J
ORIGINAL: Focker

i was looking on ebay...and icame across some pretty cheap light bulbs...

and i was wondering if they're even worth getting??
i know they're all fake and whatnot, but i just want pretty bright lights..that can cover the curbs...

what about like these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...QQcmdZViewItem