General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats better? cold vs. ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Stl Wild

Default whats better? cold vs. ram

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>I dont know about everyone else, butI would rather pay the extra money and get something that looks professional instead of Pvc or Air Duct. Performanceand unique style, not limited performance and Duct tape. And if you are at the track against a guy with the exact setup (minus induction type), Im sorry but you will be going home if he's got ram air and you've got cold air, bottom line.</FONT>
Old 02-05-2004, 01:11 PM
karma279
2nd Gear Member

I doubt it.... CAI is the best way to go. Ram air is't all it's made out to be.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:52 AM
gorbs88
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by karma279
I doubt it.... CAI is the best way to go. Ram air is't all it's made out to be.
</P>

Good call....Like i said ram air is so over rated.... i am not to excited about waitin to at least 60 mph or more before i so called se any difference....And then you haev so much drag from scoopin that air in...by the time it helps you i will be too far ahead to catch up with your so called ram air....At least Karma279 under stands..</P>
Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Stl Wild

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>I dont think you understand. Ram air acts like a cold air intake until wind starts being forced into the scoop, then it is a cold air intake X 5. The next time you drive, stick yourarm out the window and tell me you cant feel the wind in your hand, now imagine all that air being forced into your intake. Yea big difference than some cone sucking the air right out of your warm engine bay. Andabout your drag comment, I have a question for you, are you one of those guys that think ground effects actually make a difference in the way your car handles? If so, you better think again. Take the spoiler off your car and tell me it made a difference in the downforce.... yeah right. And if you are still in denial, think about the weight it adds. </FONT>
Old 02-06-2004, 03:31 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Ground effects can effect the way your car handles, at high speeds.</P>

But your example of how ram air works is great. Let the children buy their cool looking CAI's while the people who fab up a ram air kit enjoy the extra tenth or two at the 1/4.</P>

</P>
Old 02-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Stl Wild

Exactly, when I was talking about groud effects I was talking about everyday driving. And thanks Dan, atleast someone knows some physics.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:11 AM
karma279
2nd Gear Member

2 tenth difference between CAI and RAI?...... that's awful hard to believe. No way it'll make that big of a difference. Got any numbers to prove it?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

THE FASTER I GO THE MORE SMOOTHER IT IS. GETS LOWER TO THE GROUND..
Old 02-06-2004, 01:24 PM
gorbs88
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stl Wild
<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=blue size=3>I dont think you understand. Ram air acts like a cold air intake until wind starts being forced into the scoop, then it is a cold air intake X 5. The next time you drive, stick yourarm out the window and tell me you cant feel the wind in your hand, now imagine all that air being forced into your intake. Yea big difference than some cone sucking the air right out of your warm engine bay. Andabout your drag comment, I have a question for you, are you one of those guys that think ground effects actually make a difference in the way your car handles? If so, you better think again. Take the spoiler off your car and tell me it made a difference in the downforce.... yeah right. And if you are still in denial, think about the weight it adds. </FONT>
</P>

Ok, OK i understand what you are sayin. BUT...there is no way to get a few tenths from ram air.......NO WAY...The other thing that i am tryin to explain is,Do you have any idea of how much air your engine consumes??????Drivin down the road at 30 mph and you romp on it, your engine pulls in way more air then that piece of sh8t ram air is pullin in.....And what i meant by drag was you have this big scoop pullin air in....That is DRAG if you under stand it...That will slow you down...the air goes in and doesnt come out so it will slow the car.....Ram air is for looks or the 3 hp you get once you are doin 598mph...</P>
Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Stl Wild

It is all about a more direct route and less restriction for air. Im not saying the ram air pulls so much more air in, but it does make a more direct route and less restriction than stock intakes or a stupid cai cone. Therefore your enginepulls the air so much quicker and easier.And if you are going to give me a lesson on how air is going in my scoop and slowing me down, Im guessingthe next lesson you give me is going to be about howmy exhast is propelling my car too. Cause if air going in slows you down, air going out should speed you up right.....

Quick Reply: whats better? cold vs. ram