General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats better? cold vs. ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Mustang88LXKid
3rd Gear Member

Default whats better? cold vs. ram

cold air or ram air? I've heard cold air was better. Can someone explain to me how cold air works, cause I have been looking at some and they all seem to say 7-10 more horse power. I currently have ram air. . .and how does cold air install?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Richman
1st Gear Member

Def go with the cold air
Old 08-17-2003, 12:27 AM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Cold air is like a ram air but it sucks air from outside the engine bay. More oxygen per cubic inch the colder it gets, which requires more fuel to keep from going lean which means more power (and more economy holding all other things equal).

Do cold air.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:26 AM
88SaleenStang
2nd Gear Member

is there a DIY forum or anything on how to make ur own cold air out of like pvc piping or anything as so?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:56 PM
slowtwo.pt.3

its pretty much black and white, find a K&N cone filter that will fit on the inside of 3 inch piping, i have one if you want it but its in really bad shape and it could use a cleaning but it still filters and works fine and everything, that one would work if you want it. but other than that just route the PVC (i suggest 3 inch cellular core PVC, its 3 inches around and its about 1/4 inch thick, works pretty good and doesnt cost that much) and just go to the hardware store and find joins and bends and stuff that will fit on the 3 inch piping and route it down near the bottom of the engine bay as far as you can to get air from outside. anyone else want to add anything?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:03 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

cold air = ram air pretty much as far as performance, ram air is a good idea but is pretty ineffective. For cost reasons go with cold air. If you wanna make it yourself here is just one of many guides to do so:</P>

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/coldair.htm</P>
Old 10-10-2003, 08:19 AM
88SaleenStang
2nd Gear Member

thanks for posting the link for mustangworld.com they have many good DIY
Old 10-16-2003, 09:46 AM
saleenster

Ram air to my knowledge unless its changed in the last 10 yrs comes from under the front air dam...this would seem like more of a hp gain as your drawing air in as the car is moving, as Cold air is taking air from the fenderwall which has less air moving per sq inch. The one draw back to Ram air is if you live in a climate where it's wet alot, you could get water up in the tubing which would be sucked into your intake....Performance is Ram air, more security would be with the CAI. </P>
Old 10-21-2003, 07:28 AM
88SaleenStang
2nd Gear Member

i went to the track on sunday and alot of people had there passenger side side marker lights out on there foxbodys with an intake there thats pretty cool...
Old 10-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Muscles
2nd Gear Member

Well they both have their advantages and disadvantages, it depends when and what you are gonn use it for. Like he said Ram Air is better for performance because you "pack" in a whole bunch of cool air molecules into one cubic inch because itispushed or forced in to the induction more thaCAI. The only drawback for Ram is that if not well filtered you can get water in therelike hesaid, so you just dont drive it in the rain. I suggest ram air if your not going to drive in"wet climate" but go with CAI if you are, but this is not aseffective cuz it just scavanges cooler air instead of it actually getting forced in.</P>

Quick Reply: whats better? cold vs. ram