General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual shifting a C4 auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default Manual shifting a C4 auto

I have a 91 Coupe with a mild 302. Runs right at 290 hp. I have went through 3 C4 auto trannies in the last year. The first was a junker I bought for $100 just so I could play with the car before it was finished. It lasted a few months. The second was a reman. tranny I got for $450 and it started leaking from the front seal after about 4 months , so I took it back to advanced auto and got another from the warranty .The 3rd was the reman. tranny I got from Advaced auto . It started leaking after about 4 months out of the front seal , and the little seal on the shifter linkage. I don't beat up on it , I mean I don't gun it all the time or anything. Sometimes when I pull out onto the highway I manual shift it so I can get up to speed. but I don't let the rpm's get way up before I shift. Also I have noticed that ALL 3 of the trannies made a loud "clank" sound when I put them into reverse , or tap the gas while i was moving very slow. My engine idles So here are my questions.

1. Is manually shifting a C4 bad for it even if you are easy on the rpms?

2. Do Advaced auto's reman. trannies suck , or do i just need a stronger one?

3. Do I need to upgrade to a street / strip C4?

4. Is this "clank" sound a product of the transmissions , or possibly the u joint/ driveshaft play? Sometimes it sounds like it comes from below my seat , sometimes it seems to be farther back. I do see any other reason the would all do this.

Thanks for any help , sorry if I made any stupid comments , as I am not an expert on transmissions.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual shifting a C4 auto

Hold on. Let me get this straight. You had a auto tranny and you used it like a manual [:@]. If you want a manual then just get one. You might screw up your tanny like that, but you shouldn't have. I'm not an expert on C4's sry.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:05 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual shifting a C4 auto

thanks for your help man....... lmfao. Ever notice the 1-2-D on an auto before? those are there for a reason such as , hell i dunno , maybe manual shifting or something ? Like when you are pulling into traffic and need more out of 1st and 2nd gears , or going up steep hills. And since my B&M shifter (Specifically for the C4) has a special ratchet shifting mode, i was under the impression that I might be able to, call me crazy , manual shift it or something . I was asking someone who knows about C4 trannies to help me diagnose my problem , and tell me how well a stock reman. C4 would stand up to a 290 hp engine when it is manually shifted every once in a while. I have a 87 Ranger with the most god awful tranny known to man , the infamous A4LD, and I have manually shifted every time I've driven it for going on 8 years . It works like a dream. Same case with my mustang before i put in the 302 , had an A4LD , which i manually shifted constantly for 2 years. it worked fine when I took it out. So i guess what i am trying to say is , I would like to formally re-ask my question , and i humbly request that nobody try to post dumb crap here trying to act like I'm a fool . I know Automatic Transmissions , are called that for a reason , i also know that the option to manually shift it is also there for a reason. All i want , is someone to tell me if manually shifting a C4 every once in a while would be causing my problem.

for the record , my mustang was an auto before the swap and I didnt feel like converting it to a manual. that is why i don't have a manual if you must know.