General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:41 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default Winter Storage

Man it has been so long since I stored a car for the winter. Eleanor needs to go into storage for the winter, soon. We got snow last friday, luckly I had a ride for friday because of my Dad. The roads are clear for now. But I am getting(should be/have to get) a beater (finally someone called me back).

It is been so long I almost forgot everything! LOL.

How much gas should I have in the car? Almost nothing?

Put the car up on stands?

Anything else I am forgeting? (it will be cleaned waxed and covered)
Old 11-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Luv4whippets

Default RE: Winter Storage

This is the first time I have ever stored a car. I am interested to hear what everyone else has to say but this is what I did.....I am unable to store at home so I found a place that was sick built, didn't like the idea of storing her in a tin can. I washed and waxed, filled the tank completey full, put gas stabilizer in, had the oil changed, covered her up, and put down mouse bait around all four tires. I visit at least weekly to start her up. Can't wait til spring
Jenn
Old 11-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Covers are a bad idea in my opinion, especially for someone **** as you. If anyyyyyyyy dirt manages to get on the car and you put the cover on, it's corrosive and the cover is going to make it worse.

Your car won't be sitting long enough for the gas to gel up really, but to be safe add some stabalizer. Stands on our cars are not the best idea. If you have subframe connectors then you can really put it on stands. You don't want to put all that stress on the body by leaving her on stands....

Once a week or so, whenever the roads dry up, it's a REAL good idea to take her out for a spin and get all the oils in the car nice and hot. Take her around the block a few times, everyone is going to argue that you can just start her up in the garage and let it warm up, but it's not what needs to be done. Salt won't hurt your car unless it has moisture to help it do it's dirty work.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:04 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

LOL Dan.
It is stored in a garage during the winter so dirt shouldn't be a problem (never was with the porsh). I plan on washing outside, pulling in to dry and wax then cover. Thinking stands becuase my GF is getting me tires for the b-day and x-mas and was going to have them done during the winter. Plus I plan on doing the brakes(PS and pads maybe some painting[&:]), Short throw and if I don't get a predetor installing my speed cal. Putting it up on stands won't be any more stressful the sitting on the ground. The car will be supported by the K-member and the rear axle not the body.

Full tank? or bare minimum?

Hopefully I will have her away by Friday, looks like it is going to get cold again!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

full tank to reduce space for condensation of moisture into the gas and add some stablizer just to be on the safe side. use stands under the rear axle and front control arms to get the tires off the ground too. rotate the wheels whenever you visit it too so it doesn't sit in the same place on the bearings all the time. if you cannot put a battery saver type charger on the battery, remove it to inside the house or some other warm place until time comes to drive it again, then put it on a charger overnight to charge up. (is you are really cold where you are and you don't keep the battery charger, it can discharge and the electrolyte can freeze and then split the case spilling the fluid all over the place!) if you're not going to start it up for several months, pull the spark plugs and squirt a bit of engine oil into each cylinder then replace the plugs. this helps prevent rusting in the cylinders.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. I will fill it tomorrow. She will be started every week or so. Doesn't get to cold to freeze a battery here THANK GOD!!!

Now just need to get another set of jack stands and i will be set!

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

LOL Dan.
It is stored in a garage during the winter so dirt shouldn't be a problem (never was with the porsh). I plan on washing outside, pulling in to dry and wax then cover. Thinking stands becuase my GF is getting me tires for the b-day and x-mas and was going to have them done during the winter. Plus I plan on doing the brakes(PS and pads maybe some painting[&:]), Short throw and if I don't get a predetor installing my speed cal. Putting it up on stands won't be any more stressful the sitting on the ground. The car will be supported by the K-member and the rear axle not the body.

Full tank? or bare minimum?

Hopefully I will have her away by Friday, looks like it is going to get cold again!
Good, I see so many people putting their cars on blocks and jackstands the wrong way, it makes me cringe so much, then I see them inside fiddling around with stuff. Like Vfast said, keep the tank full. The reason I brought up the comment about dirt, dust collects pretty fast in most garages, especially in our wonderful state where salt flies through the air all winter, along with sand. I'm just not a fan of car covers, IMO I'd skip the cover if you plan on washing and waxing it every week.