General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flipping the Gas Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 AM
SamSam31

Default Flipping the Gas Pump

I've only had my car for a month and filled it up maybe four times. Well today I tried to fill up and the pump kept stopping, no matter how I positioned it. Then I remembered that my boyfriend has to turn the pump upside down in order to fill up. I did the same thing and now it works.

Does anyone know what causes this?? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Flipping the Gas Pump

I dont know for sure. Do you live in Cali? Those vapor recovery systems can be a pain. Anyway, when ever the fuel has a certain backpressure, the pump will shut off, like when the tank if full. Maybe tilting the nozzle up allows the fuel to enter the filler neck without restriction. Try pulling the nozzle out of the tank filler a little, instead of pushing it all the way in. However, if you have to deal with a recovery system, that will not work. Just a thought.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Flipping the Gas Pump

Nothing to worry about. Usually it just deals with the pump you use, and the circumstances. As was said earlier, the pump shuts off when there is backpressure, and it assumes that your tank is full. The angle of the nozzle can affect backpressure a lot, as can the speed that the particular tank pumps. The local Wal-Mart pumps are extremely fast and even on the lowest speed/fill setting it tends to to shut off the pump when I'm not done.

However, at the local Casey's I never have this problem as the pumps pump a bit slower. You may make sure you don't have the thing pumping on the highest speed setting, as there are usually three. I'm sure your aware that there is usually a little lever you put into a groove in the handle to control how fast it pumps and also so you can walk away and do other business why you fill up the car. Also if you weren't aware of that, then your probably holding the handle while you pump and probably holding it all the way in, try easing up on the handle while you pump and let the gas fill a little bit easier.

While I can't be sure if this is problem, this was my problem and solution and what I noticed. Hopefully it helps you, but I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. But this bugs me to when it happens, cuz I like to clean my windshield, and throw away any trash that's been built up, and sometimes I'll check tire pressure, and my wiper fluid resevoir and oil and coolan, pretty much just whatever I feel like doing when I pump, so if it continually shuts off it's a pain in the butt.