General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I could really use some help! PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:13 PM
79_4banger_hatchback
I ♥ Acer

Default I could really use some help! PLEASE!

OK, so i by this 79 mustang hatchback 2.3 liter w/o turbo, it didnt run when i bought it for 300$, so i went home changed the fuel filter and it fired right up and ran REALLY good. It ran and drove around for 3 days and the 4th day it didnt fire up......... OK, that was about 6weeks ago and i still have not gotten it to fire up. It turns over and everything, itjust wont fire up >.<!!![:@]
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I could really use some help! PLEASE!

have you checked to make sure you have spark? if not id start there.

also, get a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you have full fuel pressure and the rails. maybe the tank has so much sh*t in it, you clogged the new filter.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:54 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I would definitly check that filter again. If it has sat for a while, you most likely have junk in the tank. If you have another clogged filter, you may to drain, or remove the tank and clean it out. Congrats on the good buy.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:30 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

I have plenty of fuel getting to the carburater and I have a tank of fresh 93 octane. Is there an electrical component that is keeping it from firing up?
ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

have you checked to make sure you have spark? if not id start there.

also, get a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you have full fuel pressure and the rails. maybe the tank has so much sh*t in it, you clogged the new filter.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:50 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

If you are sure the primary are not clogged in the carb, they you have 1 of 3. Check to make sure you are getting spark and air.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Yes its getting spark (fresh plugs and wires) its getting air, ive replaced the coil, distributer cap and rotor, new ignition switch also. I had it running for about the first week and then it quit running so I think something electrical has gone out. I am getting very frustrated with it and I just want to get it running so I can drive it instead of my little gas powered scooter.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:43 PM
LilRedHoss
1st Gear Member

Does it spin over too fast? Blown head gasket.

Does it have fire to the plugs? Pull a wire and check. If not, your chasing grimlins
in the electrics.

Check the rotor again and make sure the contact didn't break. They do that once in a while.
They don't seat right or have a defect and the tab to the plug contacts breaks or bends.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Yes I have spark to all plugs, and it doesnt spin over very fast but fast enough for it to fire up. I can tell it wants to fire up because when I let off the starter it starts acting like it wants to start by a little combustion in the chamber. And, I dont think I have a blown head gasket either. I dont know whats going on with the piece of crap, it fired up at night when it was warmed up and I went to fire it up in the morning it didnt fire up. I am so fricken frustrated with it!!![>:]
ORIGINAL: LilRedHoss

Does it spin over too fast? Blown head gasket.

Does it have fire to the plugs? Pull a wire and check. If not, your chasing grimlins
in the electrics.

Check the rotor again and make sure the contact didn't break. They do that once in a while.
They don't seat right or have a defect and the tab to the plug contacts breaks or bends.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Timing belt.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
bds95stang
2nd Gear Member

time for a 5.0L swap