General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Skilled Engine Rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

Default A Skilled Engine Rebuilder

I have a 69 Mustang Grande Coupe and I am going to finish restoring it when I get back from my Army training. When I get back I want to have someone rebuild my 351 windsorengine. It will be my original engine, so when the engine is done I would like the person to take out my replacement engine and put back in my restored original. I have about 6,000 that im willing to spend with all the labor of getting the engine out and putting the restored one in. I would like about 400+ horsepower and maybe 450+ torque. I have a fmx trany, i know they can handle a lot of power buti dont want to over due it. I also have a Holley 670 street avenger, is that good enough for that kindof power?I want quality work and a warranty, ive been ripped off too many times. Can anyone help me here? I want a fast car so pointers can really help. Thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:32 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A Skilled Engine Rebuilder

A 670 Street Avenger will work nice with a setup like that on the street, as far as getting decent power that's reliable and having it done cheap(especially since you want them to swap the engine) might be hard. 5K might not be enough depending on what the engine needs. It's a gartunee it'll need head work since the original heads don't have hardened seats, so for that price if you want good performance, you might as well buy some aftermarket heads, like AFR's, Canfield's etc. They'll get a 351W to make power pretty easy. The power you're shooting for is very dooable, but if you want the engine to last plan on spending more. Might wanna consider spending the extra money to do a roller cam conversion as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

How about 6,000. id go up to that. do you think that would get it done. please guys continue to recommend me some parts. thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

That's gonna depend on what you want to do with it, and what sort of work the block will need, and what shops in your area charge. There's a lot of labor in having someone build AND swap the engine for you, and it'll eat money faster than you might think. Figure out what you want to do, determine what parts it'll take to get what you want, shop around to price them, then you'll know what parts will cost, so you then shop around for labor rates(but pick a shop you know will do it right, not just the cheapest), and then you'll know if it's in your budget range. $$$ may end up having you rethink your plan...and plan on going about 15-20% overbudget
Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

well i wouldn't mind paying someone on the side to do it. I just want someone that is very skilled that can warranty his/or her work. i mean i had someone take out my bad engine and put in the engine i have now for only 450 bucks. and he did a damn good job. thats the kind of work i want. although i know i probably aint gonna get those kinda prices here but you get the point. im a noob though so i would like someone to make up a list of high quality parts that will last a while and give me some power if they can. thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 AM
Stangsational
2nd Gear Member

where are you located? I would deffinatly consider the build. There is a lot you can do with that kind of budget. A lot of guys completely over look machine shops. 30 over, a good port job, theaded in freeze plugs and main gallery plugs, that would be a great start.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

las vegas, nevada. i am sick of gettinghalf *** work. i just want somthing that will last for a long time and give me some power to smoke anyone on the street. mostly rice burners. lol
Old 05-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Bogalu
2nd Gear Member

but i also want a high performance intake manifold and headers. i alreald have a lot of new parts, like waterpump, carburater, hoses, spark plug wires, cap and rotor, belts, chains,and so on. Then only thing thats wrong with my old engine is what a mecanic believes a "rispin" or somthing like that. What happend was I bought the car 2 months ago and within 8 hours of buying it the engine broke. Well this is what happend, i was driving and the car lost a lot of power real fast so I slowed down and and pulled over to the shoulder of the road and when i did the the car cut out. although i got it to start back up but it makes this banging noise. eitherway, thats the original engine from the vehicle and of course im gonna get it fixed otherwise the cars worth a lot less. But i want a highperformance engine, and of course if you see any hoses that could need replacing and i want the engine painted and to look like new and so on. I want a good job done. thats what my problem is that everyone i meet that does work on my cars always cuts corners and i end up with a finished piece of ****. Like for instance im having body work done on my car and the guy wont fuggin finish it. he sais "oh i have this one part that cant be done, its impossible to do." which is bull****. anything is possible if you got the skill and dedication to do it. but thats besides the point. I know i can go on ebay and buy a whole new engine with more than 500 horsepower and torque for 3500 but i dont know what im buying, i mean i dont know the quality of the parts and the workmanship and so on. this is just so hard to decide. although one thing i know is if i can buy a complete engine for 3,500. i should be able to get everything i want done for 6,000 i believe.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:43 PM
lazyeye
2nd Gear Member

its going to cost you alot more than 5 grand to restore your engine and get 400+ hp.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

To give you an idea, the 302 I'm building now is gonna be close to 400hp at the flywheel, a bit over 300 at the wheels. And so far it's cost me almost $4k in parts and some machine shop labor, and I'm assembling the engine myself. I wouldn't be able to go out and buy a crate engine like this for less than $6,500. Peformance engines cost money, it's just that simple. The old saying goes like this, "Cheap, powerful, reliable....pick 2"

Quick Reply: A Skilled Engine Rebuilder