General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can a tune limit speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:07 AM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Default Can a tune limit speed?

While driving home today, I got to wondering if a tune (Brenspeed, B.a.m.a, etc.) can put a speed limiter in? Could you put a tune on that would limit your top speed to 30mph for city driving, and then how hard would it be to change to a top speed of 60mph for when you are going to go out on the highway?

I've never used a tuner, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm assuming that the car obviously has to be off, but can the tuner hold multiple tunes (select the tune to upload), and can it be done by just pulling over, shutting the car off, hooking up the tuner, upload the tune, start the car and continue on?

As silly as it probably sounds, I just don't have an interest in speeding. Instead of watching the speedometer all the time, it would be easier if the car itself was limited. The majority of my driving is city, so 30mph max would be the norm, but occassional weekend road trips would require a boost up to 60mph max for highway driving.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can a tune limit speed?

Sounds dangerious to me.

If I need to avoid a fatal accident by
suddenly
increasing the speed of my car. I would be
terribly depressed laying in my grave saying
how stupid it was to limit the top speed of
my car to avoid a possible ticket.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Most Police departments only write tickets to scofflaws who are driving at least ten miles over the limit.
If you can't control your speed to with in +- 5 mph of the posted limit you might think about giving up your drivers liscense and use taxicabs.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm not interested in doing it to avoid tickets. I'm interested in doing it simply because I believe strongly that if the sign says maximum 30mph speed limit, that means that should be the maximum speed you should drive, not 31 and not 32. I live in an area with a lot of grades, so keeping the needle pegged on 30mph (or between 26 and 30) is more difficult than it would be in an area without grades. Certainly I wouldn't expect a tune could limit speed going downhill.

I can certainly appreciate the view of thinking it would be dangerous, but I'd submit that far more fatal accidents happen as a result of not being able to slow down to avoid the accident, rather than not being able to speed up.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

excuse me for posting nothing more useful than you should lighten up a bit....live a little

besides tuning a/f ratio's etc...tuners are used to RAISE rev limiters and REMOVE speed limiters so you could go as fast as you heart desires and/or you car is capable of going...well that's useful enough

F the MAN!![8D]
Old 06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Du510
2nd Gear Member

But at the same time, tuners can install a tune that includes a rev limiter or speed governor.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Du510

But at the same time, tuners can install a tune that includes a rev limiter or speed governor.
Exactly. I have a Tweecer RT and I have a "valet" or "mechanic" tune that I use. It limits the RPM to 3000 and the speed to 25 MPH. It's what I use when I have to take the car to a shop or mechanic for any reason. That way thy guys there can't go tooling around town with my car when they're supposed to be doing something else to it. I also have an anti-theft tune that bsically prevents it from starting or running.

I can store 4 tunes at a time and can switch between then by simply turning a dial. The car doesn't even have to be shut off. I can do it on the fly.

I have my regular tune, my nitrous tune, my valet tune, and my anti-theft tune. And of course, I have a bunch more that I screw around with that are saved on my laptop in case I want to upload them later.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:17 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I'm sure there are a lot of kids whom drive "daddys Stang" are really gonna be pissed if pop can electronically limit their fun

Drive no more than 50/55 mph and have a GPS tracker in the glovebox that give the parents a detailed report card exactly where they've been the previous night and,, suddenly the kids think taking the bus to parties is a good idea [&:]