General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Changin oil....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default Changin oil....

Ok here's how I've ALWAYS changed my oil and nothings ever been wrong.... but someone the other day stopped me while I was changing it.

- Jack the Car up.....
- Remove drain cap.....
- Drain
- Remove Oil Filter and replace
- Replace Drain cap
- Lower car and add oil
- Start the car and run for several minutes checking pressure and checking oil level
- Drive off...

Well the guy was like.... "Make sure you prime it first....." and I just nodded and waved him off..... What did he mean by priming it? Have I always been doing something wrong? Or is what I'm doing correct.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Changin oil....

I think he meant priming the filter. I always fill the filter with oil and put some oil on the rubber gasket when i put it on. Thats whati was told to do. It is meant so the filter takes less time to fill up with oil before reaching the engine but ive heard from many people it doesnt make a bigdifference but its just the way ive always done it
Old 07-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Some think that you need to spin the engine without allowing it to start to get the oil pressure up. This is unnecessary in a seasoned engine for several reasons, partly due to the fact that the oil pump has to turn so long and the bearings will get oil in the same number of revs whether it's at the starter speed (500 rpm) or idle speed (750 rpm). Also, a seasoned engine's surfaces are pretty much mated, have oil on them, and aren't going to be harmed with a few seconds of dry run after an oil change. Synthetic-seasoned engines have an advantage, but non-synthetics aren't a problem here either.

You can fill the filter to help, but unless your filter is pretty much vertical, you're likely to spill a lot of the oil just installing the filter. I put some oil in the filter, but don't really try to fill it completely.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, and make sure to coat the o-ring on the new filter with oil before you install it, it's less likely to tear or crumple when you screw the new filter on
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I like to fill the filter as well, I can fit 3/4 of a quart into mine w/o spilling. Also smearing some as the gasket. And when draining it I have always removed the filter first, and then the drain plug since the filter is higher up on the motor than the oil pan. Also remove the fill cap and pull the dip stick out slightly so it can drain better (Probaly already do that, but just though I would mention it .)

P.S thecar in you sig is nice, and make a whole lot of power, but it looks like its needs some wax, badly.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:50 PM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Some think that you need to spin the engine without allowing it to start to get the oil pressure up. This is unnecessary in a seasoned engine for several reasons, partly due to the fact that the oil pump has to turn so long and the bearings will get oil in the same number of revs whether it's at the starter speed (500 rpm) or idle speed (750 rpm). Also, a seasoned engine's surfaces are pretty much mated, have oil on them, and aren't going to be harmed with a few seconds of dry run after an oil change. Synthetic-seasoned engines have an advantage, but non-synthetics aren't a problem here either.

You can fill the filter to help, but unless your filter is pretty much vertical, you're likely to spill a lot of the oil just installing the filter. I put some oil in the filter, but don't really try to fill it completely.

I <3 Colorado_Mustang.

I work on COUNTLESS boat engines [I'm a marine mechanic]. Whenever I change the oil filter I suck the oil out, replace the oil filter [I dab my finger in the old oil and smear it on the o-ring. I just put enough so it has a light film], install the oil filter, fill up the oil, and let it run.
I've never once had a problem after it.

Like Colorado_Mustang said... in newer engines you might want to fill up the oil filter a bit. But, in older engines it has some caked on oil on the sides of the cylinders. So, it isn't really gunna hurt the engine that much for a few seconds of having no new oil.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 PM
oachs83
1st Gear Member

When I was in highschool years back I worked in a "quicklube" and the only people you really got that swore by filling the filter full is the old timers. It really is unnecesary, unless you have a fresh motor being started for the very first time. The only filters that need to be filled are the big ol Super Duty ones that hold almost 2 qts of oil. It actually has happened where an air bubble has been knowned to get caught in the filter. But anything else don't worry about it. next time tell that guy to shut the f**k up.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oachs83

When I was in highschool years back I worked in a "quicklube" and the only people you really got that swore by filling the filter full is the old timers. It really is unnecesary, unless you have a fresh motor being started for the very first time. The only filters that need to be filled are the big ol Super Duty ones that hold almost 2 qts of oil. It actually has happened where an air bubble has been knowned to get caught in the filter. But anything else don't worry about it. next time tell that guy to shut the f**k up.
oachs83 wins!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:14 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Blk5.0

I like to fill the filter as well, I can fit 3/4 of a quart into mine w/o spilling. Also smearing some as the gasket. And when draining it I have always removed the filter first, and then the drain plug since the filter is higher up on the motor than the oil pan. Also remove the fill cap and pull the dip stick out slightly so it can drain better (Probaly already do that, but just though I would mention it .)

P.S thecar in you sig is nice, and make a whole lot of power, but it looks like its needs some wax, badly.
Thanks yall. Yea I kinda figured the guy was talking something extra. I've always coated the filter ring but never filled it up because I dropped it one time on my face and tasted motor oil for about 2 weeks straight....

And yea she does look like she needs a bad wax.... lol
Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

I guess its just a preferance thing. i still like to pre fill my oil filter too.