General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 5.0 oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
maiello2169
2nd Gear Member

Default 93 5.0 oil pressure

so i've fixed a bunch of various problems with this 93 fox...the last being an oil change. For some reason when a load is put on the engine, the oil pressure drops. Just wondering if someone could help me out. thanks.

-Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 93 5.0 oil pressure

How's the pan look? If the pan is dented or misformed, the pickup may be above the oil. Also, make sure the return passages in the heads are clear and not stockpiling the oil.

Make sure the oil level is correct. The best way is to see what the oil level on the dipstick is just after an oil change (and a run/rest cycle to make sure the oil has been circulated and drained properly).

Also, is this the factory "gauge" or a real gauge? The factory unit isn't much more than an idiot light with a needle, so you may want to keep that in mind.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 AM
maiello2169
2nd Gear Member

no this is the idiot light that i'm using...but still, the oil pressure shouldn't drop when i put a load on it right? i have two friends that own fox's and none of them know what the deal is. im definitely going to check the return passages when i get a chance. thanks man.

-Mike
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM
SpitnCobra
1st Gear Member

Well Maiello, just wondering what type of oil your using? and how many miles on your engine? I guess even if you was to use cheap oilyour gaugeshouldn't drop, my guess prob...be bad rings or oil pump bout to take a dump.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM
redconvert

if your oil pressure drop on acceleration its the crank bearings, mains and rods. Due to the force of ratation under a load the extra clearance due to a seasoned motors will allow it to walk in the bearing space and cause a loss of oil pressure. Even if your oil pan was dented, the oil pickup could NOT be above the oil. That sensor in the side of the pan is at the two quart level. There isone and half quarts above that and another half stuck to the inside of your motor and oil passages and one more quart in your oil filter. Your pickup is only 3/8" away from the bottom of your oil pan a small dent could either cause your oil pan to suck your pickup to itself and cause a catastrophic falure of no oil or move the pick up slightly. Its made of 16 guage steel for the reason 'if' it was hit it would survive. When I build motors I weld a 3/8" stud flat to the bottom of all the pickup tubes and then there will never be a clearance issue....but anyhoo its your bearings, use 20w50 oil and it will prolong your motor. Even if you use synthetic oil(junk) use normal 20w50 oil. I live in subzeroclimate and I run it in a fresh motor and it starts fine in any tempuature.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The most positive way to verify what the oil pressure is doing it so temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see how it acts. If it works and doesn't show the pressure loss, the problem will be in the electrical system, and could be as simple as a sender.

ORIGINAL: redconvert

if your oil pressure drop on acceleration its the crank bearings, mains and rods. Due to the force of ratation under a load the extra clearance due to a seasoned motors will allow it to walk in the bearing space and cause a loss of oil pressure. Even if your oil pan was dented, the oil pickup could NOT be above the oil. That sensor in the side of the pan is at the two quart level. There isone and half quarts above that and another half stuck to the inside of your motor and oil passages and one more quart in your oil filter. Your pickup is only 3/8" away from the bottom of your oil pan a small dent could either cause your oil pan to suck your pickup to itself and cause a catastrophic falure of no oil or move the pick up slightly. Its made of 16 guage steel for the reason 'if' it was hit it would survive. When I build motors I weld a 3/8" stud flat to the bottom of all the pickup tubes and then there will never be a clearance issue....but anyhoo its your bearings, use 20w50 oil and it will prolong your motor. Even if you use synthetic oil(junk) use normal 20w50 oil. I live in subzeroclimate and I run it in a fresh motor and it starts fine in any tempuature.
You're definitely demonstrating your lack of intelligence, noob.

The oil pan is not a structural piece of steel. It can survive a hit only by deforming. Any deformation around the pickup will alter the angle of the pickup, placing it above the oil level when running. Higher RPM's of the engine will reduce the amount of oil in the pan due to the built-in restriction within the oil drains. This can easily lead to starvation.

20W-50 is too thick for an engine not designed to run it. Without proper bearing clearance, the oil will wash out the bearings (fluid is not compressible), and usually in ways that aren't condusive to long engine life. Anyone that believes conventional oil is better than synthetic is an uneducated buffoon. There are zero studies/tests that will show any advantage to running a conventional oil as compared to synthetics.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:10 PM
redconvert

ya ok lol you know everything I can totally tell lol........

" Without proper bearing clearance, the oil will wash out the bearings " if thats what you think. lol what does your oil pump push more than 1500 psi to remove metal? lol.

"20W-50 is too thick for an engine not designed to run it"...HAHAHAH so all those race cars and street guys who run a thicker oil than factory like turbo and supercharger applications should run what the manufacturers recomend?!?! lol HAHAHAHAHHA

"Anyone that believes conventional oil is better than synthetic is an uneducated buffoon." So I take it when you goto the track or your friends do you guys just leave the same old oil in for god knows how long that they recomend for synthetics. The guys I race with just use plain fossil oil in their cars, cheap to change and reliability has been great for the past..ohhh...100-110 years.

"There are zero studies/tests that will show any advantage to running a conventional oil as compared to synthetics"......oh really have you been under a rock the past 10-12 years up in thar hills in Colorado..HAHAHAHAHA synthetics do have some advantage over fossil oils but its who you talk to and which persons has horror stories of both. Plus i dont like to run water in my car, 0w50 who the F%$# would run that shiot in their daily driver.

Do me a favor and ask a engine builder or a decent mechanic and saw when I rev a car like when im accellerating my oil goes down, what causes that?...ok Mike people arnt here for your opinions they need our help and together we should all be able to help EACH other. I didnt realize that this was such a bashing forum. Unless your the type that...' well I got a this with a V8 and I can churp the tires with my K+N filtercharger'.

If this guy wants to take my 'advise' he can. but my knowledge is far greater than some guy whos going to bash someone over the internet. ARGUING OVER THE INTERNET IS LIKE WINNING THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS MIKE. YOUR STILL A RETARD.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:28 PM
redconvert

...........Anyhoo just so you Colorado guys can come down off the mountains and out of the woods to become a little smarter like the rest of us. Here are some of the none existantFossil oil VS. Synthetic articles. LOL.

Please Use The Link Feature

Please Use The Link Feature

and probably my favorite=

All your friend will think you're cool when you use the link feature!

I could go on there are things called search engines on the internet that you can type in a phrase like "Oil VS Synthetic Oil"...but I think It would confuse you right now, and you probably would tell me your computer or some other search engine is faster than mine anyways HAHAHHA.So I will like you absorb the last and you can have a nice day.

Maiello2169, what was written is just my opinion I will not take offense if you do not believe me, good luck.