General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

labor quote

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Ontherocks98
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: labor quote

i heard anywhere from 200-400...but that wasnt from the guy i usually talk to, this was one of his henchmen.........but 525 sounds insanely high.....unless they give you a girl or guy(for the ladies) for you to help yourself to while they're workin on your car...............then 525 sounds right
Old 02-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Hmmm... im not sure exactly how much it would be. But i can tell you FORD charges 4.0 hours flat rate to replace the rear end gears. We charge 76.00 an hour. You do the math. ( if you cant or dont want to its about 305.00..) OK. But you get what you pay for. thats not paying for the gears themselves. So another howmuch ever for gears. So im sure youre not getting a bad deal, if this place IS a dealership. Small garages charge less. So it should be less. I install them myself..... And i think some of you get the wrong impression about rear ends, because of what MD said. They are not something anyone wants to do. Unless you have alot of patients and special service tools.
as for how long they take... put it up. remove wheels and rear end cover, abs sensors and calipers, yank the center pin and carrier bolts. then remove it.... blah blah blah. Its easy to remove but takes more patients putting back together. Also depends on what luck you have that day for ABS rings. lol. Some dont like to come off. But if you do gears alot like me... they tend to just come and go. I could do youre whole install in about 2 hours tops. But like i said, if you do them alot they are easy.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

Hmmm... im not sure exactly how much it would be. But i can tell you FORD charges 4.0 hours flat rate to replace the rear end gears. We charge 76.00 an hour. You do the math. ( if you cant or dont want to its about 305.00..) OK. But you get what you pay for. thats not paying for the gears themselves. So another howmuch ever for gears. So im sure youre not getting a bad deal, if this place IS a dealership. Small garages charge less. So it should be less. I install them myself..... And i think some of you get the wrong impression about rear ends, because of what MD said. They are not something anyone wants to do. Unless you have alot of patients and special service tools.
as for how long they take... put it up. remove wheels and rear end cover, abs sensors and calipers, yank the center pin and carrier bolts. then remove it.... blah blah blah. Its easy to remove but takes more patients putting back together. Also depends on what luck you have that day for ABS rings. lol. Some dont like to come off. But if you do gears alot like me... they tend to just come and go. I could do youre whole install in about 2 hours tops. But like i said, if you do them alot they are easy.
yea sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like its easy to do. I've just done it about 10 times so to me its easy. And yea, without a press you'll probably *** up the pinion bearing and abs rings. Actually on the first abs ring I put on I busted it in 3 places, had to weld it back up and ended up tacking it on to the axle on one side [&:] But its all good. I'd probably have a hard time getting the gears setup right if it wasn't for the fact I only used Ford gears.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

well i called the local speed shop (unfortunately they dont do installs) and asked them of a reputable gear place. gave me a name of a place that they send everyone too. i asked him about the install...$300. thats $225 less then the other place. and the place is called "the gear man" cause rear axle work is what they specialize in. im pretty happy about that. with the money saved im getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a dyno tune now if only the damn irs would send my my tax return i could do the work