General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Just blew my motor!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
adamtucker

Default RE: Just blew my motor!!!!

ok, when the noise started, i thought it was my tires cause of the surface of the hwy i was driving on. It was kinda like squeeling noise that gradually got louder. There was no clunks or anything. When i started it earlier today, i only ran for a second before shuting off but it did fire up briefly which good.
When I heard the squeeling i got on the gas slightly and the noise got louder. When I pulled off on the side of the road it was still making the noise so I cut the motor off to prevent any further damage.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM
adamtucker

i know when you think of squeeling noises, you think belts. The belt and the alternator are both brand new and the belt has enough tension on it.
Its definately something internal. I dont think pistons or rods or even main bearings would squeel if they went out or even turn over. I checked the oil level and it was perfect with no metal flakes or particles.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Even though you just bought the alternator, doesn't mean it isn't bad. Do this. Take the belt off, (it's easy to do) and try to spin the alternator by hand. Also spin the PS pump. This will only take 5 minutes and will rule out these two accessories. What did the voltage look like when you ran it briefly?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:44 PM
adamtucker

It was really low (alternator). I have to drive like 20 min to where my car is but i will definately try that first.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 PM
adamtucker

MikeVa
Please keep in touch. I will be back on a little later after I check that out. Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

That right there is telling me the bearings in the alternator are shot. This will cause a high srill/squeeling noise and low voltage. Just try the simple things first and let me know what you discover.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adamtucker

MikeVa
Please keep in touch. I will be back on a little later after I check that out. Thanks
I'll be here.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I'd be willing to put money on bad alternator bearings. A loud squeeling that gets worse as the rpm goes up, combined with low voltage. Just cuz you got it a few weeks ago doesn't mean anything. If it's a reman unit that doesn't mean it was rebuilt properly, or that they even replaced the bearings
Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 PM
adamtucker

i just checked the alternator and P/S pump and buth spin freely. I took the belt completly off and tried starting the car, the valves were rattleing around and sounded horrible. Im betting my heads are shot. The car did crank over and did start no problem, but like i said, once started the valves sounded wreched.
If it is the heads, which I really think it is, would it be better/cheaper to have them rebuilt or just get some new ones? I really like polished aluminum.
And if valves go that bad, is there a possibility for damage to the pistons?
Its a 302 block bored to a 306 w/ GT-40 heads. Do you think a nice set of AFR heads would do nicely?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

AFR or TFS or Edelbrocks would run a lot better. And what sound are the valves making?

Good thing I didn't actually put money on that too, I woulda lost

Quick Reply: Just blew my motor!!!!