General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just blew my motor!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 AM
adamtucker

Default Just blew my motor!!!!

So i was on the hwy., and i heard this screeching sound. I immediatly pulled over and shut my car off, opened the hood to check for any fluid leakage, but there was none. I tried starting it and it was completely siezed! the temp read about 200 degrees, it had oil.WTF! Could it be a main bearing?
So now i probably need a new motor. I had a 93 Cobra motor bored out to a 306 with heads intake, headers ,cam, forged pistons and rods,etc. What motor should i get so I can swap over the old parts to, what will fit?? Where should I go to shop for a new motor?
351? or what? I need some adice/suggestions. I am now with out a car and have no means of transportation except my wifes 06 Malibu, but i wouldnt want to be caught dead in that thing.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:18 AM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just blew my motor!!!!

Do you have AC? The compressor could have seized. Happened to my brother's Exploder.Take your serpentine belt off and see if you can crank the motor. But DON'T let it run!! Just see if it turns over.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

How do you know it was seized. Doesn't quite sound right.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM
adamtucker

I dont have AC. I am guessing it is siezed or the main bearings went. Why else wouldnt it turn over? I guess there are many possibilities, but thats why i am writing this.
The voltage did read really low, but i just replaced that alternator weeks ago. Would it make a screeching sound if it went out? Also my "check oil" not check engine light has been coming on every now and then, but the quality and level are excellent.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Take the belt off and try and turn the motor. Could be a locked up alternator.

To add: Engines don't just seize out of the blue. If you had oil, and coolant was fine then it didn't size. If you threw a rod, you'd know it. Check the dipstick and see if any metal flakes are on it. If not, the bearings should be fine. Do the lightsor anything electrical work on it?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

One possibility, the alt froze up and you heard the bearing screetching as it got fried, and it wouldn't start because the battery wasn't getting a charge and can't turn the starter. There are a lot of possibilities, but it doesn't sound like a siezed engine. It was running before, you just can't start it back up
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: MikeVa

Take the belt off and try and turn the motor. Could be a locked up alternator.

To add: Engines don't just seize out of the blue. If you had oil, and coolant was fine then it didn't size. If you threw a rod, you'd know it. Check the dipstick and see if any metal flakes are on it. If not, the bearings should be fine. Do the lightsor anything electrical work on it?
Rather than try to crank the motor, take the belt off and see if all the accessories spin first.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 PM
adamtucker

well, i went and tried to start my car. It started ,but made a god awful nose and shut down. I just replaced the alternator a couple weeks ago, so i dont think it is thatand the only other accessory running of the belt is the P/S pump,and thats it. The valves always ticked quite a bit though, and I noticed they are leaking around the head gaskets toward the front of the motor. I think maybe I broke a valve or something in the head. When I got the car, i noticed the ticking, and told my my buddy who claimed it was cause of the 1.7 roller rockers. Is that true? Should valves tick at all ever? I always thought it was a bad thing. The car has GT-40 heads with 1.7 roller rockers.
If it is a valve, what are the chances it wrecked or scarred my piston? Thank guys.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:19 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

shoulda bought a chevy
Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
MikeVa
2nd Gear Member

Describe the noise. You need to be more specific so we can diagnose the problem.

Quick Reply: Just blew my motor!!!!