General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I want to buy some parts for my car buuut I don't know anything about cars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Forbidden

Default I want to buy some parts for my car buuut I don't know anything about cars...

Hi =]

I'm new to this whole customization thing, but I've had my car 4 years already and figured it was about time to do something to it. Two things I'm interested in are exhausts and lights. I have a 2003 V6 Premium Mustang w/ the Pony Package. So here's my problem: I don't know *ANYTHING* about cars. I know some stuff about lights, but not enough to help me make a decision. That's where you all come into play. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it!!!

1. I want an exhaust that's going to make my car sound LOUD but doesn't require any cutting/welding/whatever. Also, I don't want to have to pay a ton of $$ for labor. I went to AmericanMuscle.com and they had the following:
- Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Catback System
- Steeda Stainless Steel Catback Dual Exhaust

Is one better than the other or do they both suck?

2. My lights are HORRIBLE. They're stock and basically I cannot see anything because they're not bright at all. I was considering Angel Eyes (LED) like the BMWs have, but I was informed that those aren't the best ones. Then there are the HID lights, but I dunno if I like the blue light or if they're the best. I also know that there are lights that are projectors and those can be REALLY bright (they're the white-light ones). Someone I dated had projectors and you could make them more blue or yellow depending on how you adjusted them. Apparently they were really expensive but they literally lit up the ENTIRE road.

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it =]
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I want to buy some parts for my car buuut I don't know anything about cars...

they both suck. im assuming those are v6 exhaust kits which blow. they just give the appearance of having exhaust and dont make your car much louder than stock. you have a couple options i would suggest for exhaust.

get an off road h/x pipe (you can use a stock gt midpipe also for cheap). then get either some gt take off catbacks for cheap or get a XXXXXX catback. i think you have to have a shop bend the tips down a tad because the v6 bumper doesnt have the exhaust cutouts like a gt bumper. you can either try to trade your v6 bumper for a GT (which people do), get the pipes bent, or get something like mac's prodump catbacks (which dump the exhaust right by the axle instead of going all the way back).

get a k+n filter and remove the silencer if you havent already.

if you wanna see get a HID kit. you can buy the projector type headlights on ebay for 100-130$ but i donno how well they light the road up. ive heard either slightly less or more than stock depending on who u talk to.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
jmonty
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I want to buy some parts for my car buuut I don't know anything about cars...

what is the silencer on the k & n filter? does that apply to the cai?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:01 PM
slimshorti1589
2nd Gear Member

the silencee isnt on the K&N filter...its part of your stock intake setup...the silencer is a black rubber boot leadign down into your front right wheel-well...just pops out an dlets your breathe a littl ebetter......