General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans flush=trans suicide???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Automatic or stick

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

That's just ignorant. He deserved it. At least check your oil level once a year, my God.
How is that ignorant? Do you trust anyone? Some people do.... they trusted that their 19.99 was being put to use. They didnt expect that they had their oil drained and then none got put back in. Its all about trust. If you can trust someone then stick to them.
Casper kind of has a point. I don't trust anyone...I've proven/caught, car dealers/service shops, landscaping people, house inspectors, plumbers, and other 'professionals' fug up either on purpose or because they didn't double check themselves. Anytime I have any kind of work done that could cost me big if not done right the first time, I learn as much as I can about the work being performed. Either by asking them questions, a few minutes of research on-line, or based on my own hands-on experience. If I doubt my findings, knowledge, or the professionals answer, I get a second opinion.

I've been to shops I trust for an oil change and even they can mess up...i.e. new guy doesn't make sure old oil seal comes off with old filter and screws new one on. Before I drove my car away, I checked the oil level and under the car for the oil filter. Good thing I did...It was accidental, but still would've sucked for me to find out after my engine blew all it's oil out. Some people just don't consider their car a liability until they have to fork out the money to pay for it..then they point the finger... look at the 'oil-sludge' woes of Audi..my god some people are just plain ignorant....

Back on topic I don't think a tranny flush would be needed if you do regular fluid and filter replacements. The flush should only be needed if the tranny has been seriously neglected, as in never had a filter/fluid change and over 120K on the original fluid. Like an engine flush, it could cause seals to go bad.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Honestly. get some real world expirence in the trade before you start shooting down things that work.
<--- Not sure who that was pointed to... Must be someone else on here...

I tried to read youre non-sence. But i just couldnt sorry. I dont plan on comming back into this thread, so dont even bother reposting.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

What ever man. Once you get someone to look at that stick that is loged in your rectum maybe you can listen to reason. This must fall under the catagory of "I don't like it so everyone has to not like it". Maybe you should do a few and deside for yourself instead of going by what "other" poeple tell you.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 AM
brando5.0
1st Gear Member

One of my friends has been running a tranny shop for over 20 years. He recommends doing a flush and fill about every 30,000. He said that the only times that he's had problems with cars getting worse is if they come in smoked. As a general rule of thumb, if the fluid looks good after 30,000 or so, change it anyways- u never know what the filter looks like. If you pull the stick and you have a nice metalic brown fluid, take your chances. More often that not, he said it wont shift right if you do a flush, or, even worse, it might not move at all. Easy way to do a flush is to pull off a cooler line on the radiator. Then, start the car. As the old fluid pumps out of line, make sure you are dumping clean fluid in tranny. keep doing this till fluid looks redish-pink. Then, shut off the car and drop the pan to service the filter. That way, you dont plug up a new filter right away with all the crap you clean out of the tranny. If your torque converter has a drain hole, its a good idea to drain it too!