General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Price of Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

Default Price of Engine Swap

Approxamatly how much would it cost to convert a 2.3 EFI fox body to a 5.0 carb? Assuming I'd start with absolutly nothing. How much would it cost for labor?

It's either replace the motor like I wanted when I first got the car or replace the motor mounts, which would cost more than the car is worth. What would you do?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Price of Engine Swap

Most regular garages wouldn't even touch the job. They'd be willing to swap in an identical engine to what you already have but not the type of swap you're wanting. You would have to go to a custom/performance shop for that sort of swap & they'd charge PLENTY! Typical shop rates go around $70-85 per hour,, & a swap like that is gonna take LOTS of hours[:@]

Really, much cheaper to just sell the 4 banger & buy a GT

Old 11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

A GT would probably cost more for me in insurance than it would to swap it out because I'm 16.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yes a GT would be more for insurance than a 4-banger, But even if you swapped a V8 into your car, you'd have to tell the insurance company about the swap.. If you don't & have no accidents then Ok you might get lucky with it. However if you have an accident & the claims adjuster sees the huge engine where a 4 is supposed to be.. well they'll likely cancel your policy & not even pay that claim.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
8barrell460

Haha it would be more worth it to buy a 5.0 from your era. Like you said about the motor mount replacement being more than your car is worth, the value of the 5.0's aren't that much anymore at this point unless they are modded or in excellent condition. Sure they are worth more than the 4 cylinder ones, but they could be fairly affordable. It's tough when you're 16 though. When I was 17 I didn't get asked to prom, but I had the money, and thats when I bought my 68 shelby, and 76 chevy one ton from a junkyard. The Shelby was a steal since the body was poor, but I got that thing for $230 in 1994 which was a great price. All it needed was a water pump, door handlesand carburetor since they brought it in only a few days before. The Shelby is pretty much my baby, and I've did much work to get it where it is today, but changing the 4 cylinder to an 8 is a long shot. You would need to change a lot. Aren't those 4 cylinder stangs front wheel drive also or are they not? If they are you need to get a whole new rear, transmission, psshhh pretty much everything. Ford is more complicated with their parts than most manufacturers I don't even think the water pump, or the fuel pump, or alternators, and those things are compatible. Sounds like a headache. Better go with something with a 5.0 already in it. Like someone else stated they will raise your insurance anyway, and if you had an accident, and the company didn't know about the size of the motor you're pretty much screwed, and they won't cover you.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

4 bangers are RWD... It was my impression the closest thing to a FWD Mustang is the Ford Probe.

And all I would have to swap is a new bell housing, clutch, flywheel, starter, cross member, motor mounts, clutch quadrant, clutch cable, spline and U joint. Well, I think that's it. Anything else?

I posted a topic about insurance before and came to the conclusion that as long as the accident wasn't caused from street racing, they would have no reason to check the engine. And even if they do, it was a stock engine for that model, so they might over look it.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

1500-2000 depending on what you wanted. Or cheaper if you really wanted basic.