General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about Convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Madcow5x5

Default Question about Convertibles

I'm about to make a decision on a new vehicle but wanted to at least ask a question to a forum.....You guys are it.

I'm trying to decide between a convertible or coupe......I was wondering the durability of the convertibles. I've never owned one and was just wondering if anyone regrets buying theirs. In 5 years I don't want to look at my car and see a ragged out top. Any help/advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

D
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about Convertibles

I can't tell you the longevity about mustang verts b/c mine is still new. But as of now I have no regrets at all, and I live in Michigan! In the summer time the feeling you get when you're cruising in a vert is badass, I love it. I say get the vert, you will not regret it.

If you are planning on making this a serious track car, you probably should go with a coupe for the reduced weight tho. But even that isn't enough to base your decision off IMO.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Verts shake, weigh more, less structual rigidity...

Whenever I see a guy in a mustang GT I think he's compensating for something... Have a buddy who has one, it just looks weird to me...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:30 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

Some ppl think that verts look weird with the top up...I just dont see it. When I see the top up, which has been for like months, it just looks like a normal car to me, but I guess thats just my opinion.

I don't really feel less structural support, feels like a normal car to me, again maybe I got used to it...but I don't remember even once thinking this car rides like ****.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

I think they look fine w/ the top up... SOME verts look ok w/ a light bar...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Raven_pbr
1st Gear Member

Acer- could you explain what you mean by "Whenever I see a guy in a mustang GT I think he's compensating for something... Have a buddy who has one, it just looks weird to me... " ?

Sometimes I wish I had a coupe, but then again I really like my vert. I was just driving with the top down today.
Yes, sometimes it shakes quite a bit, but its not insane... and its well worth it considering you have the sky above you.. its amazing
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

For a daily driver I prefer a coupe. I had a convertible awhile back (granted it wasn't a Mustang), but it was just louder, and just never really seemed right to me with the top up. I just feel better in my coupe, for a daily driver. I have a '67 Belvedere conv. that if I ever get it finished will be a sweet cruiser... So, IMHO if it's not a daily driver by all means get the vert... but if durability is the only issue you can always get a new top...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I love my convertible. I am an outside person which explains everything. The feel of the wind and sun in my face makes me feel alive. Nothing compares to that except maybe a motorcycle.

The drawbacks to a vert is that the top will eventually have to be replaced because fabric only lasts for so long. I think that verts are little noiser than coups -- you may hear sounds from outside with the top up or even air whistling through somewhere as well. Mine creaks too. Don't know why -- maybe too much plastic.

Another reason why I bought one is because EVERYBODY LOOKS at convertibles. Especially Mustangs. So I am a showoff. LOL!

If you buy a convertible and you live in a relatively mild climate, you will love having it. You will end up driving around with the top down even in winter. You just turn on the heater. When I first heard that from another convertible owner, I thought they were crazy. BUT NOW I UNDERSTAND!!!

Oh yeah, I want the light bar too!!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Case

I love my vert. It's definately noisier and has a few more rattles (especially in the extreme cold), but it is a small sacrifice compared to the joy of driving it with the top down.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

If you take care of your top you won't have any problems with it. Todays modern verts have glass rear windows so they aren't the old plastic that would fade and yellow. The top itself is better quality, and may fade from a darker black to a gray over time, but you can keep them clean and shiny if you want to put in the effort. In my book, it's not my car if I can't drop the top.

Quick Reply: Question about Convertibles