Question about Convertibles - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Reload this Page >

Question about Convertibles

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Question about Convertibles

Old 03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about Convertibles

You car looks real nice. I especially like the light bar. Did you put it in yourself or pay somebody to do it? I want one too!!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

I think if you like the vert, go with it! The only bad thing about verts are:

1. that SOMETIMES they look silly with the top up- however, I'm just weird about it because sometimes people put the most ridiculous color tops on their car when they order it and the colors really don't go well together. But, if the color scheme looks good, then it doesn't look weird.

2. The top will wear, unlike a top on a coupe-- obviously. My mom had a limited edition sebring conv. and it was a great car! But, after a while it started to dry rot and the inside smelled like mildew and mold. It was nasty... so she sold it for a mini. But, then again, for a few years there, she parked it outside-- no garage, and it went through winter after winter, rain, and everything in between. If you keep it in a garage, that top will last much longer.

In the summer, I always wish I got a stang vert. But, because I live in Ohio right now, it's kinda pointless since I won't get to use the vert part of it a whole lot. One day i want to get one, but when i move to a warmer climate.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks,
I didnt install it myself, but by the instructions that were given to me it didnt look to difficult. You will have to cut into the plastic molding and then connect the bar to some bolts in the side panels. I was going to, but i had a cervinis hood, cobra bumper cover and other things installed and painted so i figured they could just throw that in. Makes a world of difference and makes the verts look a little "meaner". Guess thats why carroll shelby put it on his shelby stangs back in the 60's. Take care, T. J.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/E772829354214FB49EE7B147331902AB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/EE8DAF15D2FA4F7490E34E627F244CE4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2005, 06:40 PM
00Stang
2nd Gear Member

Verts are the sh*t! That's why they are more expensive[8D] If you don't like them, stick to the coupe...[sm=closed.gif]
Old 03-10-2005, 08:49 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Verts are the best in the summer time. Driving down the highway at around 70 with a nice cool breeze in your hair. Nothing like it. But it does have some extra sound to it. Also your exhaust sounds louder to you when your driving
Old 03-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Madcow5x5

Thanks for all the feedback.....Based on the feeling I have I'll be going with the Vert. I don't plan on racing it other than on the road occasionally....

Now I just have to wait for a little while before I can get it.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

You won't be sorry! Is this vehicle going to be brand new or a used vehicle? If used, be sure to look the top over really well. Always check for water marks in the storage compartment for possible leaks and check to see if the seams are good. I have looked at so many used ones with frayed edges and holes in them. After making the major purchase, you probably wouldn't want to put any more money into it for a while. At least that's how I felt.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:55 PM
rjjtnc

I've got a 98 cobra convertible (white with camel top and interior). I treat it regularly and it still looks good. Eventually I'll have to replace it but considering the car is going on 7 years old, that's not bad.

Regarding speed and shaking/noise, I had the frame reinforced/stiffened when I upgraded the suspension. The car corners like a BeamR and I don't get any shaking. If you are planning to add significant horsepower to the car, frame reinforcement/stiffening is a MUST or you will not only have worse shaking but you are at risk of bending the frame, little by little.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:17 PM
racerxxx98
1st Gear Member

i have a coupe but i wanted the vert oh well the deal was on the coupe.My buddy has the vert and i've drove this car. there is some differents like yes the car will creak and flex over bad roads but still knowing this i would take the vert .just my 02cents