General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5 pt harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5 pt harness

Just so you know.... 3" belts ar illegal for street use. But I really dont think any cops going to know that or bother you for it. But they can.... The 2" belts are the legal ones. Stupid huh.... the 3" are safer but just arent approved. And as some others have mentioned dont bolt the sholder harness straps to the floor, you will compress your spin in an accident, so you high really mess your self up, like even paralyzed. Get a bar that connects from the the two mounting bolts where your seat belts are near your sholders. Sparco makes it if you dont want to put a roll cage in, but want the harness. http://www.sparcousa.com/harness_bars.asp And they also make the harness too. http://www.sparcousa.com/harnesses.asp
Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

Just so you know.... 3" belts ar illegal for street use. But I really dont think any cops going to know that or bother you for it. But they can.... The 2" belts are the legal ones. Stupid huh.... the 3" are safer but just arent approved. And as some others have mentioned dont bolt the sholder harness straps to the floor, you will compress your spin in an accident, so you high really mess your self up, like even paralyzed. Get a bar that connects from the the two mounting bolts where your seat belts are near your sholders. Sparco makes it if you dont want to put a roll cage in, but want the harness. http://www.sparcousa.com/harness_bars.asp And they also make the harness too. http://www.sparcousa.com/harnesses.asp

I would stay away from this bar, I will work great to hold your belts in place and prevent the spinal compression in a accident. BUT if you roll your car and are wearing the 5pt belts you will not be able to move to the side and prevent the roof from crushing you []. I highly recommond that you get at least the main hoop (2pt) and then get the bar that goes from one side to the other and does the same thing as the one they have for sale. This is just my opnion, so you can do what you like just be aware of all of the problems with getting that bar and useing the 5pt harness. I am at some point going to get 5pt belt for my car, but I will be buying the STEEDA 4pt cage with the cross brace before i buy and install the belt in my car.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 AM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

yeah but i dont wanna get rid of my nice power lumbar seats..
ill find a pic for you later
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

yeah you could do that buy why when all you have to get is the belts that attach to the roll cage?/shoulder bar

[quote]
Diver8374
The only way you can do this is if you have the cross bar at shoulder height mounted to the roll bar in the car, then it is ok to mount the belts to the floor at the factory mounting points. The reason this is ok with the bar is that the bar redirects the action of you going forward and the belts pulling down, instead of pulling down directly on your shoulder and compressing your spine, it pulls down on the bar and the bar directs the motion forward like it is supposed to be. Sorry for the long post but wanted to clear this up some more.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: import slayer

ORIGINAL: mkspeed26

summit has seats that are cheap but get the job done and are light. $70 w/ cover

Not anymore they don't. I was recently looking for cheap, light seats from Summit and they said they don't sell the cheap seats anymore.

BTW, a 5 point harness without a rollbar equals DEATH WISH!!

r u serious???? damn, i was gonna get those this spring. jegs has some too, maybe try them.