General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Light on - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Battery Light on - WTF?

The ring connections arefor hooking to a battery with 3/8" studs. The clamp connectons are used if you want to raise the hood to hook it up to the battery. It gives you options....I would get the cig lighter option (http://www.batterymart.com/p-12-volt...g-adapter.html)and backfeed the battery. As for the 24" peice of #6, i have know clue WTF you mean...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

Well I don't need the cig lighter charger, as I will be pulling the battery to charge it. It doesn't have an alternator so the battery isn't even hooked up in the car and hasn't been for days now. I just need to know how to charge the battery properly. I was thinking:

Pull it from car
Connect charger clamps on battery
Connect Adaptor to wall outlet
Allow to charge

But in the instructions right before it says to put the clamps on the battery is says to be sure to attach at least a 24" long wire that is 6 guages thick to the battery...wtf is that about?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

Here are the exact directions from the adaptor you plug into the wall:

1. Connect and Disconnect battery leads only when supply cord is disconnected

2. For a battery installed in vehicle, first connect charger output lead to ungrounded battery post- not connect to automobile chassis- in accordance with polarity identification and then opposite polarity lead to chassis away from battery; do not connect to carburetor or fuel lines. Disconnect chassis lead first. For battery not installed in vehicle refer to instruction manual

Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

See in the battery manual this is what it says:

FOLLOW THESE STEPS WHEN BATTERY IS OUTSIDE VEHICLE. A SPARK NEAR THE BATTERY MAY CUASE BATTERY EXPLOSION. TO REDUCE RISK OF A SPARK NEARBATTERY:

a. check poloarity of battery posts. POSITIVE battery post usually has a larger diamter than NEGATIVE post

b. attach at least a 24-inch-long 6-gauge AWG insulated battery cable to NEGATIVE battery post

c. Connect POSITIVE (RED) charger clip to POSITIVE post of battery

d. Position yourself and free end of cable as far away from battery as possible - then connect NEGATIVE charger clip to free end of cable

e. Do not face battery when making final connection

f. WHen disconnecting charger, always do so in reverse sequence of connecting procedure and break first connection while as far away from battery as practical
Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

Iunderstand your confussion ??? I've never owned a optima. I would think all you need to do is use the clamps and connect to the battery and then plug it in.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

Well F-it I did just that.

Put connectors on, clamps on battery and stuck into power outlet. It's charging!!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

Well I did what I thought and I was right..stupid directions

Snap into the ac adaptor...clamp on battery. Green light goes on to show connection is correct..plug in wall..red lights goes on to show ac power is correct. Green light solid until fully charged, then blinks to show disuphation process!

UPDATE:

UPS decided to run super late and delivered my alternator at 8pm yesterday night.

Opened it up and it's great.

I talked to Rick @ PA-Performance and he stated that the ONLY things not changed to 100% new was the shell and the pulley. EVERYTHING inside was 100% changed to BRAND NEW SPECS. It's now a 3G 200Amp Alternator with the 4 gauge wiring kit for it as well

130amp < 200amp

Can't wait to install it this weekend.

I also got the battery charger, and fully charged the battery and did that disulphation thing on it