General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

homemade AFR meter

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:58 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

Default homemade AFR meter

A friend of mine from high school who was going through a tech school to become a mechanic had made an air/fuel ratio meter with plans he received from class. It was a pretty simple design and used about 10 LEDs to display what the afr was. Does anyone have a link to a schematic I can use to build one, or instructions? I've gotten out of contact with this guy, and I really want to have these installed on each bank so I know what's going on with my engine. I also don't want to spend the grip of cash it costs to get one from a store. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:12 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: homemade AFR meter

What good is it going to do you other then a pretty light show as the 02 signal switches from lean to rich every 1-2 seconds? you can't get an actual AF ratio without a wideband controler. your only going to get a VERY basic idea under WOT when the gauge stablizes around 800-1000 Mv.'s. but thats really not going to tell you much. Honestly A/f gauges are a waste of money. If your at a point with your car that you need one then your really at a point where you should be spending the 300-400 on a wideband controler.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 96SilverLT1

What good is it going to do you other then a pretty light show as the 02 signal switches from lean to rich every 1-2 seconds? you can't get an actual AF ratio without a wideband controler. your only going to get a VERY basic idea under WOT when the gauge stablizes around 800-1000 Mv.'s. but thats really not going to tell you much. Honestly A/f gauges are a waste of money. If your at a point with your car that you need one then your really at a point where you should be spending the 300-400 on a wideband controler.
what he said ^^
Old 03-26-2005, 01:37 PM
TBIAgent69
1st Gear Member

I'm sorry.. I thought I was asking a question I could get a useful answer to. Mabe I should try somewhere else.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:54 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

cry baby
Old 03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TBIAgent69
A friend of mine from high school who was going through a tech school to become a mechanic had made an air/fuel ratio meter with plans he received from class. It was a pretty simple design and used about 10 LEDs to display what the afr was. Does anyone have a link to a schematic I can use to build one, or instructions? I've gotten out of contact with this guy, and I really want to have these installed on each bank so I know what's going on with my engine. I also don't want to spend the grip of cash it costs to get one from a store. Thanks for any help!
I made one a while back, you can make them out of radioshack parts. The only part I had to order was the display driver. I didn't use the rainbow LEDs, instead I used the 10 bar graph array. If you want a lightshow I recommend using 3red, 4yellow, & 3green LED's It was a fun project to do I wouldn't mind doing it again if I had a running car to do it on other than my mustang. Let me see if I can find the link for you.

I agree with him, they are very annoying to be around. I had one in my old car & the blinky sh*t was getting to me. Women like it though.

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8
cry baby
lol, mean head.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

http://www.markvanderkwaak.com/dbbp/tech-tips/mm.html
Says for carburated, but that's what mine looked like.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:02 AM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

I thought my answer was very usefull... If you would rather spend the money on something else I have some ocean front property in arizona I can sell you cheep
Old 03-27-2005, 06:33 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

thats pretty cool fox. i'll have to make a couple of those myself.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:45 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I thought my answer was very usefull... If you would rather spend the money on something else I have some ocean front property in arizona I can sell you cheep
How much [sm=alien.gif]

ORIGINAL: pete1665
thats pretty cool fox. i'll have to make a couple of those myself.
Is a fun project & for $6 who can complain.

Quick Reply: homemade AFR meter