General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wiring question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

Default wiring question..

can i wire my new driving lights directly into the parking lights and not have to have their own switch?
i really am not crazy about putting a new hole in my dashboard for a switch for the driving lights..
please help me..
Old 03-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: wiring question..

im not familiar with the interior of the newer mustang but theoretically this way will work.

the switch that turns on your lights, pop it out, unscrew, unglue or w/e from the dash.

youll need a voltmeter, find the a wire that when you flick the light switch the lights turn on and the wire spits 12 volts, youll need to tap into each wire with the red lead from the voltmeter and the black lead from the voltmeter to the ground (any metal part on the chassis under the dash or w/e). once you found the wire that spits out 12 volts when you flick the switch, thats the wire you use to wire your new lightbulbs + lead to, and the light bulb - lead is just grounded to the chassis. youll need to do wire splicing, tape it all up and all the lights should turn on together. hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:31 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

thanks. i think i can handle it now. i have a voltmeter
i just didnt wanna put a hole in my dashboard for the switch. im kinda drunk rightnow so i better get off here.
thanx again
Old 03-26-2005, 01:35 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

sounds like too much work!!!!!!!!! i have 6 siwtches in the middle of my dash in my jeep, and 3 under the "hidden spot" where the ashtray used to be in my mustang, i like switches..but since you dont. these lights should just be a live and ground correct? just ground them somewhere (any bare peice of metal pretty much) then run the live into the fusebox. find where the fuse is for your parking lights and put the wire in there...voila
Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

yeah i am waiting for someone to do it for me..lol
i am not the most patient person when it comes to fiddling around with wires and stuff.
my dad is the electrician in this family but rightnow he has a broken wrist..(fell on the ice)
so im either going to go out there and have him physically teach (show me) how this gets done or i am going to wait until he gets the cast off..
i ordered my white face gauges and the driving lights lastnight. dang someone should hide my Visa card when I have had to much too drink..lol
well i only spent $ 124.98 @ Mustang Tuning.com for both..a friend of mine is selling me his GT Hood and Saleen spoiler/bumper cover.
sweet.....i have been looking for some Laser Red paint now....
Old 03-26-2005, 11:16 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

since you just ordered the lights last night, why not wait until they show up and look at the instruction sheet to see how they tell you to wire them up before you do anything. most auxiliary lights draw a fair amount of current and hooking them into the existing switch may not work, could even burn up the existing wires if the current draw is higher than the wire was designed to handle. best way is to use a 12 volt relay to feed power the the new lights and a small low current switch can be used to turn the relay on/off. personally I would keep the driving lights on a separate circuit and switch so you can retain the option of turning them off by themselves without affecting the regular headlights. in some states, it's illegal to have too many lights on at the same time too, so you need to check this out too.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

sounds like too much work!!!!!!!!! i have 6 siwtches in the middle of my dash in my jeep, and 3 under the "hidden spot" where the ashtray used to be in my mustang, i like switches..but since you dont. these lights should just be a live and ground correct? just ground them somewhere (any bare peice of metal pretty much) then run the live into the fusebox. find where the fuse is for your parking lights and put the wire in there...voila
Uh...No. You need a relay in there. That has to be wired into the main power of the car. If you just buy those cheap Pep Boys fog lights, they'll get hot, melt switches and blow fuses all the time.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:47 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

ive had no problems.. and my jeep has 4 lights on the roof on the lightbar, 2 spot lights, and 2 6" lights on the bumper, one 6" on the rear tire carrier
Old 03-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

I assume you bought some decent off road lights? Those have a relay built into them. It's the seperate box in the package. The $25 fog lights from Pep Boys don't have one.

A friend of mine bought them and almost set the car on fire. The fuse blew after they were on for an hour, and it melted the power switch that it came with under the dash. It was ugly.