General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuse issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
janyeno

Default fuse issue...

Hey guys.... new here, but I have a bit of a problem...

I just bought a 1993 Mustang LX, and everything works great except I got a fuse that keeps blowing...

The fuse for my tail lights, dash lights, license plate lights, etc. blows at random times. Like just last night I pulled out... drove about half a mile and then they blew. I had my headlights on the whole time... The day after I purchased the fuse blew after driving it for about an hour with the lights on...

Ican't figure out what's blowing the fuse... I was thinkin that maybe the light switched was bad... or that a connection somewhere therein might be bunk, bnut I have no idea how to fix anything like that... I don't even know how to get the light switch out....

Anyone have any ideas, or know how to get the light switch out?

Also... does anyone have a diagram for the fuse box in my 93 mustang lx...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

Default RE: fuse issue...

chances are you have a wire somewhere shorting out... prob chafed or cut and sometimes its not making contact a unwanted ground making the circuit work fine..but say u hit a bump or it moves and touches the unwanted ground it will pop the fuse...pretty much get someone who knoes electircal to look at the ciruit to find the short ... i mean it could be a shorted out switch..but i dont think the fuse would work then pop.. usually would just keep popping and not work.. i think u have an intermitent short and u need to find a bad wire
Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 PM
janyeno

how would i go about pulling the dash apart and getting the switch out... how would i get behind the dash lights...

oh and another thing i remembered... the other night while driving it... I had to have my light switch in a certain spot to have my headlights AND dash lights on at the same time... like it couldn't be all the way down... it had to be between park lights and headlights... like in the middle... twas weird... then like 45 minutes after that the fuse blew.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ahh very well could be the switch shorted... to be honest never had to come across and change one in a stang so im not gonna be a help telling u how to pop it out of there.. a haynes manuel would be good thing to have
Old 02-24-2008, 08:49 AM
janyeno

Can anyone tell me how to get into the dash, and how to take the headlight switch out?