General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

header install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
05pnygt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: header install question

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

buy the tools $200= you always will have them
true true...
Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kaichele1

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

lol if you can find a place to install headers for 175 go for it. 6-8 hours is the general time it takes most people. people who have all the tools out, have done the install many times, etc... can bust them out in less time but someone at a shop getting paid by the hour isnt gonna be working that fast.

the average install for headers is about 5-600$ i think. try to get an estimated time and/or a guarantee on a max price or something. people getting paid by the hour LOVE to take their time.
well i just got a quote of 600 for install of bbk longtubes and matching x-pipe.. so i guess i'll just have them do it..
Your first post said "shorty's" and didn't mention changing out a mid pipe. Shortys bolt right up to your factory H pipe. Just a matter of unbolting your factory headers and putting the shortys right in their place. Two hours at a shop with a lift would be about right IMO. Longtubes and replacing a mid pipe is a LOT more work. Equal length shortys like I run are a tough install also due to space limits. When you are having the mid pipe replaced, keep in mind emission requirments for cats if you are affected by that.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moterhead

Your first post said "shorty's" and didn't mention changing out a mid pipe. Shortys bolt right up to your factory H pipe. Just a matter of unbolting your factory headers and putting the shortys right in their place. Two hours at a shop with a lift would be about right IMO. Longtubes and replacing a mid pipe is a LOT more work. Equal length shortys like I run are a tough install also due to space limits. When you are having the mid pipe replaced, keep in mind emission requirments for cats if you are affected by that.
haha no. changing out the midpipe is the EASIEST part of this. and either way you still have to completely drop your midpipe even if your going with shorties...so there is no less work involved). shorty headers still require you to drop the k member and jack the motor up just like longtubes (its because you cant get to the bolts holding them to the heads...it has nothing to do with short or long tube). if you think you can take the front tires off, take the brakes off, disconnect the steering shaft, drop the steering column or whatever it is, drop the k member, lift the motor, undo the stock manifolds, bolt the new ones on, then put everything back on in 2 hours then be my guest. and a shop getting paid 75$ an hour does not rush things
Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
1988GTstang
3rd Gear Member

yea bro i bought a shorty headers for my mustang and the guy i brought to said it took him bought an hour to 2 hours...shouldnt cost that much
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

Putting on short tubes is an easy 2-3 hour job, longtubes are like a 10 hour job, I'm pretty sure you have to pull the motor,
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

ORIGINAL: moterhead

haha no. changing out the midpipe is the EASIEST part of this. and either way you still have to completely drop your midpipe even if your going with shorties...so there is no less work involved). shorty headers still require you to drop the k member and jack the motor up just like longtubes (its because you cant get to the bolts holding them to the heads...it has nothing to do with short or long tube). if you think you can take the front tires off, take the brakes off, disconnect the steering shaft, drop the steering column or whatever it is, drop the k member, lift the motor, undo the stock manifolds, bolt the new ones on, then put everything back on in 2 hours then be my guest. and a shop getting paid 75$ an hour does not rush things
Well, bacon57 and 1988GTstang both think it's an easier job than you do. Wonder who is right? I was charged two hours labor at Alternative Automotive in Mt Clemems, Mi to R&R the JBA shortys on my '88 GT. This was way back in '99, but still, it takes the time it takes no matter when it was. I know for a fact that they did NOT drop the K member. MY '93 LX has BBK equal length shortys. Equal length shortys are NOT the same install as regular shortys. Lots more bulk there due to the extra length of the tubes.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

You guys are silly paying people hundreds to do simple jobs like this. The only tools you needwould be a basicwrench/socket setand some extensions.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangMike2001

You guys are silly paying people hundreds to do simple jobs like this. The only tools you needwould be a basicwrench/socket setand some extensions.
I agree 100%. I hate to pay anyone to do anything that I can do myself. Lots of things that seem hard really aren't. All you need is a few tools and the willingness to try it.

MustangMike2001, are you in the Music City Mustang Club? I see you are in the Nashville area. So am I. I live out between Fairview and Leiper's Fork off Pinewood Rd.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 PM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I know some people justarn't the type to start tearing apart an engine but I hope no one is paying for installs b/c they are afraid to try.It's all a lot easier than you would think..

No I'm not inthe Music City Mustang Mustang Club. I was really wanting to join when I first heard of it a year or so ago but I didn't really have anything done to my car back then and over time I kinda forgot about it. I'll have to check their forums out again and see what's going on. I live out in the Spring Hill area if you know where that is.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

Shorty headers are even easier to put them on a 5.0, when I was 10 me and my dad put them on his old 94 GT in about 2 1/2 hours, a mod motor isa little tougher because the heads are wider.

Quick Reply: header install question