General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
seancolon
1st Gear Member

Default Brakes Question

Not to sound dumb, but i failed inspection for front and rear brakes on my 95 Gt
I have changed brakes before on my trans am, vw jetta and nissan sentra

each had there own quirky trick to getting them off..

My question is, are thre any suprises im going to run into when trying to changes the front and rear pads and rotors?

Any help, tips thanks.. Sean
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Brakes Question

Rear calipers turn in to retract the cylinder, not squeeze. I see a lot of guys try to compress them with a C clamp and can't figure out why they won't collapse like the front did.

Other than that, it's straight forward.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
seancolon
1st Gear Member

im sure i'll figure it out when i look, but what do you mean the rears turn in to retract? Is there a bolt or something to turn that retracts them? By the way your car is sick looking..
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The piston cylinder that compresses onto the pad doesn't just push back into the caliperlike the fronts do. Use a pair of needle nose pliars and spin the piston back (clockwise). It takes a while and a lot of turning, but it goes.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
andysm
1st Gear Member

Most auto parts store sell a universal attachment for a 3/8 ratchet to turn in the rear calibur's. Only none of the six sides fit my 2001. I had to grind down to **** on one of them to fit my model. Even after that, the drivers side piston was stubborn. It took me around 45 minutes to an hour to turn that pison in. The passenger side went right in. The guy who put on my new Nitto Nt 555's said that if I would have pulled back the boot and applied some synthetic grease, the drivers side would have screwed back faster. And on another note, they screw back clockwise. If they seem stubborn, take a drink or two, and keep patient. You will get there eventuallly. Also I went ahead and bought some very cool drilled and slotted rotors for a song, (pm me for the source), and it is easier if you take the rotor off and mount the pad cradle and calibur back on without the rotor to turn in the piston. Hope this a help.