General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GT or V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
zawaz

Default RE: GT or V6?

i drive a v6 just because i couldnt afford the gas of a GT
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zawaz

i drive a v6 just because i couldnt afford the gas of a GT
Check this site

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

It's a government fuel economy site, so the numbers are pretty fair, not padded like most dealerships do Check most any year Mustang and you'll find that the 6'rs only give a couple MPG better than the same year/tranny GT

The 4.6 is a pretty efficient engine, so's the V6. If you don't punch it much the 8 can give good fuel economy

Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
20Mustang00
1st Gear Member

V6 cheaper on insurance... and if you can afford it NOW.. and it not THAT high... wait till you get pulled over or have a wreck.... then see how HIGH it can go!....
Old 03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Same way with a V6 though. Before I got my two tickets my insurance was cheap as hell. Then I got the two tickets and my insurance almost doubled...

I don't think you can really use the insurance arguement. Gas is not too bad on the V8's, at least if you don't have your foot in them all the time. lol
Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

the gas mileage thing is a mute point as long as you keep your foot off the gas theres little difference in gas. and actually if you hammer the v6 your gas mileage i think gets alot worse because the motor has to work harder to gain the same momentum as a larger displacement motor.

GT may not be what you consider 'fast' but it is better than a v6 (and i know from experience...i had a 00 v6 mustang when i was 16 until it was totaled when i was 19). we all KNOW it doesnt compare to an LSX without f/i.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:07 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

True story. The GT's are a fun car and quick enough for most people. They just aren't fast. I get a little bit tired of listening to most GT guys talk about how fast their car is...

Also true about the gas. The 4.6L is a much more gas friendly vehicle than some of the other V8's out due to it being a small displacement modular motor. The V6 gets ok gas mileage but being an OHV design sort of hurts it a bit. The new SOHC 4.0 V6's should be getting a bit better than they actually do. I don't know why they can't get better mileage.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

i just graduated highschool last year and bought a gt, my insurance was 1535 for a year of full coverage, i had a squeaky clean record,but watch it cause i just got a stack of tickets in that car, and that low rate wont be like that too much longer.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
BobbyRay

I've owned two six shooters and LOVE the BOTH. I honestly believe if I had bought myself a GT, I'd probably be wrapped aruond a tree somewhere. I'l admit i'm not ready for an 8, only because I know eventually i'll do something stupid in it.

I bought a brand new 08 v6 with a manual but had a chance to buy an 03 gt. I stuck with the newer one because of a)insurance and b) dependability. I'm sure whatever you decide to get, you won't regret it Let us know!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

dude im a high school senior bout to go to college too! and i have a auto v6.. nooo fun AT ALL!!! it was my parents decisoin... i got a 96GT right before my junior year even started!! and i had the time of my life in that gt!! even if it was an auto..i wanted stick but my parents are gayyy......go for the gt!! and make sure its 5spd!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

Im 18 and I just bought my GT with money Id saved. Insurance isnt that bad for me 128$ a month. I have a perfect record though and insurance is cheap in my area. My friend has a v6 (heavily modified) and it has some pep. When he was slamming through the gears I was impressed for a v6. But hes put 1000s into it to make it semi fast. With me on the other hand, I have a little money in it, and it hauls ***. People love the sound also. Check insurance and then decide. But if you want to be taken semi serious, 5spd GT is the only way to go for you.