General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

v6 and v8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

Default v6 and v8

Planning to buy a 2005-2007 mustang once I sale my car (soon)
I was originally going to buy a v6 and make it look nice and all, because more mpg and
the appearance didnt matter to me since I was going to change it not to look like a gt
However, im leaning more towards the v8 now because i feel i will be disappointed in the v6's performance
So, if you can plz point out the major features a v8 has that the v6 doesnt in performance, handling, etc.
not in appearance though. you can write what you know or a link with that information mainly.
NEW TO MUSTANGS!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: v6 and v8

ORIGINAL: BaDStAnGT

Planning to buy a 2005-2007 mustang once I sale my car (soon)
I was originally going to buy a v6 and make it look nice and all, because more mpg and
the appearance didnt matter to me since I was going to change it not to look like a gt
However, im leaning more towards the v8 now because i feel i will be disappointed in the v6's performance
So, if you can plz point out the major features a v8 has that the v6 doesnt in performance, handling, etc.
not in appearance though. you can write what you know or a link with that information mainly.
NEW TO MUSTANGS!!!
This is the best way to describe it, seeing as i've driven both.

GT= *****
V6 = pre puberty
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 AM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

lol
ok i get ur point but i want to know the features such as who has lsd or better handling
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

lol
ok i get ur point but i want to know the features such as who has lsd or better handling
Ok lets see. Ya the GT has better handling for sure because the suspension is more aggressively tuned. It's also lower than the V6 I believe, but I'm not sure. I know for a fact it has better grip because it got a .90 roadholding on the skidpad in a carranddriver test and the v6 got alot less. Besides that, the transmission shifts more smoothly and the throws are shorter, probably because the GT has a better version of the TREMEC. Most importantly is the engine. Those 300 horses and 320 lb feet of torque will push you back in your seat when you floor it, the V6 won't. And that's obvious because the GT does 0-60 in 4.9 and the V6 in 7.0 I believe. And then theres the exaust. The exaust note on the GT is perfection. It's loud and deep, even when stock.

There, is that enough analysis? [8D]
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 AM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

thank you very much, but does every gt come with lsd, and are there gt with dohc? dumb i know but i dont have a clue
Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

thank you very much, but does every gt come with lsd, and are there gt with dohc? dumb i know but i dont have a clue
Yes it does come with limited slip. It also has traction control that you can completely turn off. And no the new GT is SOHC only, but that doesn't really matter. As for fuel economy, your only getting like 2 mpg better in the V6. With my intake i get like 26/27 cruising on the highway.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 AM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks man im leaning more to the gt now
u will soon see pics of my gt whenever i buy it[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Don't expect to be satisfied with the GT in stock form though. I was rather dissapointed the first time I drove a new GT. I was expecting a lot more from it than it gave. They are much quicker than the 99-04 GT's but they don't feel nearly as quick from driver's feel. They are a more refined vehicle than earlier Mustangs and thus don't give as much feel for the car to the Driver. JMO though.

The V6 isn't that bad of a car from what the other guy is making it out to be. If it were me I would go for the GT if I could afford it.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: indisposible_teens

Don't expect to be satisfied with the GT in stock form though. I was rather dissapointed the first time I drove a new GT. I was expecting a lot more from it than it gave. They are much quicker than the 99-04 GT's but they don't feel nearly as quick from driver's feel. They are a more refined vehicle than earlier Mustangs and thus don't give as much feel for the car to the Driver. JMO though.

The V6 isn't that bad of a car from what the other guy is making it out to be. If it were me I would go for the GT if I could afford it.
Did you drive a 5-speed or an automatic?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

I have driven both 5 spd and auto. The 5 spd is more fun than the auto but I was still expecting more. I think the hype that built up around these cars had me expecting more when I first drove them.