General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

v6 and v8

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: v6 and v8

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

So just because the a Mustang is slower than the same year Camaro or Trans Am, they shouldn't be compared against one another despite the fact that they compete for the same segment of the market?
Go ahead & compare the two. Just don't come back saying the Mustang is a disappointment because it's 4.6 engine couldn't beat the F-body's 5.7..

Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

So just because the a Mustang is slower than the same year Camaro or Trans Am, they shouldn't be compared against one another despite the fact that they compete for the same segment of the market?
Go ahead & compare the two. Just don't come back saying the Mustang is a disappointment because it's 4.6 engine couldn't beat the F-body's 5.7..
I don't think I said the 4.6L was adissapointment, I said the car was. I am very dissapointed in nearly all American Car Manufacturers today. They are making oversized, overhyped cars that aren't as fun to drive as I would hope. I actually enjoy driving most of theAmerican 4 cylinder"sports" cars more than the V8's because they are much more nimble. To me a car that can handle is much more important than a car that can go fast in a straight line. I guess some people don't realize that their might be a corner or two in life.[8D]

Whether you want to admit it or not you were getting very defensive about the Mustang being slower than the Trans Am/Camaro. Why? It is Fords fault for sticking a badly engineered 4.6L V8 into the Mustang. lol GM had the right idea with sticking the 5.7L into the F-bodies. Most Mustang owners have to play catch-up to compete with a stock F-body that is at least 6 years old now...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PhattyDre16
This is the best way to describe it, seeing as i've driven both.
GT= *****
V6 = pre puberty
Ouch.

To the OP: Are you going to be racing it at all or just street driving? You already said you were going to modify the outside. If you aren't going to need more power, go with the V6 and make a nice looking Mustang. It will save you some coin in the original purchase. If you decided you are going to modify for more power after driving it, you can make power with a V6 as well. V8 owners just don't want to admit it.