General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying to get my mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
smttyxc92

Default Trying to get my mustang

hey everyone,
Im 16 and trying to get a Mustang GT as my first car, my dads a mechanic and is against me and says he wont get me one. -_- his reasons are: To much gas, to much insurance, and to many problems. Can you guys help me out? Ive been researching the insurance and gas but i dont know what to tell him to convince him its a good car, that wont break down. Please gimme facts or other things that you find useful to help convince him.
Thanks
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Machmax777
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to get my mustang

if he is a mechanic then he should know that anything man made is going to break at some point. hes just using that "ford sucks" crap as an exuce
Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
1367mustang
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I do not agree on all of your fathers ideas on the GT. But................. he wants to see you make your 17th birthday. I am a grandfather and grew up in the 60's. Drove a lot of hot cars very hard till I turned about 35 and had a few close calls in those years. He cares a great deal about YOU !!!! Go for a GT in a few years and be proud that he cares about YOU !!!

60's Mustangs
Corvettte's
Dusters
Camaro's

Regards

Brian
Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

IMO, no one should be given mustang gt power for their first car.My first car was a ford taurus. 2nd car was a v6 mustang. 3rd car is a mach 1 mustang. I say, start off small like me, gradually work your way up once you know how fast each car is. For all you know, V6 power may be enough for you. Test drivea manual V6 and then see if it's enough power for you. If not, do a couple mods and you should be happy. Isay go mustang v6. Cheaper on insurance, better gas, andhas some pep. Iasked the same thing to my dad when I was your age, and hewas right that I wasn't ready for a gt yet. Listen to your parents, they know stuff .

I don't know what your mechanic's thinking when he says they have too many problems. I talked to a couple mechanics about cars, and he suggested mustang gt'sand mach 1's to me when I was looking to upgrade. Mustangsare easier to work on then f-bodies, don't really have any problems more than average unless you beat on them, and are affordablewith great bang for buck. Seems like the mechanic is against you.

One other thing, are you going to be insured by yourself, under your dad, orjust your dad under the car? B/c costs change a lot depending oneach one. GT w/you alone= over $4k/yr easily, GT with you and dad=over $3k/yr, and GT with justdad depending on his record could be under $2k/yr. Just to give you a hint, thoseonline estimated aren't close when you put just your dads age under the car andyou aregonna be registered for it. That's all without umbrella policies and other stuff to which your dad should look into.

To help you, as long as you have all 90's in school, haven't been caught with drugs/alcohol,haven't had any trouble with the law or school,aren't rebellious, and don't ask for a lot of things, Idon't see what would give him a reason not to give you one exceptfor the fact that your 16yrs old.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

+100 what SteelStang said
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
smttyxc92

Thanks guys...i guess ill just wait maybe till im 17..id probably register my dad as the main driver so my insurance might be like 3k like you said. But if its not a GT i cant get the six cuz my dads says it doesnt have AVS and he drove it one time and didnt like the feel. IF i cant get those what do u recomend? I love Stang's sound but cant find another car that can match it and looks as nice as one. i want a powerful car but i guess A stang is to much? The wierd thing is my dad has offered me other cars that are faster than a GT from what my bro has told me. I have all above 90s in school. What other car can gimme that sound and a decent amount of power and good looks in your opinion?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
smttyxc92

and i my record is clean.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

wtf. everybody makes these gt's to be a screaming roaring machine, there not, especially stock. your dad might bring an arguement up it were a vette at your age but it's not. we get great mpg on these things (18 city/24 hwy). safety comes from abs, traction control, airbags just like every other car. i guess if you want the same sound and power and your dad wants safety buy a marauder or at least the crown vic. if your grades are what you say they are then that should be enough to prove that your responsible. idk - get an excursion. power and safety.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
bacon57
3rd Gear Member

For a cheap car that has a little bit of go get a v6 Camaro. your dad sounds like a chevy guy and the base model Camaros are really cheap and I'm pretty sure they are faster than a v6 Mustang (of the same year of course)
Old 03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
dvlshc
1st Gear Member

When I was 17 I got my license and my fast car was an 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, that thing was a boat, I believe it had a v6. I've been in love with mustang's for as long as I can remember and was dying to get one, however, it was just too much money for me toget one, nevermind the GT. The insurance alone would have been outrageous for me. I finally got my first Mustang a couple of months ago, and as tough as it was to wait all those years (I'm in my mid-twenties now), it was worth it tofinally achieve the goal of buying one andthat feeling of satisfaction of having bought it all by myself. It's been four months and I still get goosebumps when I see it in my garage. I can't wait to move to Florida soonso I can put the top down year round.

Quick Reply: Trying to get my mustang