General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Progressive rate spings

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
tmcc02gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Progressive rate spings

Hello, i want to put a set of Eibach springs on my '02 GT coupe, but i dont get what the difference is in "progressive rate springs" against "non progressive rate". My buddy has an "03 GT with the Eibach ProKit and he says that everyone told him to go with them because their PRS. If someone could explain this to me i would greatly appreciate it. And also, what is the best brand/type of springs to buy using factory shocks/struts?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Progressive rate spings

As far as the springs, the difference between progressive rate and linear rate springs is that linear rate spring maintain the same spring rate as they compress while progressive rate springs increase the spring rate as they compress. The advantage to progressive rate over linear springs is that due to the softer initial spring rate the progressives have a better ride quality in exchange for a slight handling penalty compared to linear springs. Both are usually better than the stock springs though. For mostly street use I'd probably stick with progressives since they have a better ride quality.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
thepit56
1st Gear Member

almost everyone I've talked to says that to really reap the rewards of a new suspension you need to replace the shocks too, otherwise the tighter springs will make the ride harder, unless of course your leaving the car at stock height and not lowering it.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

That's true, my friend has done springsbut not shocks in hisGT and he told me he can really tell the difference in ridequalitybetweenhis carcompared to mine or my other friend's Mustangs.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Even adding shocks/struts to thesprings doesn't really make the ride better. I thought that when I added my shocks/struts to my springs that the ride got a little rougher since they were a stiffer set. Generally when people lower their car they are not going to get any luxurious handling out of it.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
rossn
1st Gear Member

I went with the steeda springs a few years ago and kept my factory shocks/struts. It is a little rough compared to stock but it does ride ok. I am going to upgrade the shocks/struts soon.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: golden_eye

As far as the springs, the difference between progressive rate and linear rate springs is that linear rate spring maintain the same spring rate as they compress while progressive rate springs increase the spring rate as they compress. The advantage to progressive rate over linear springs is that due to the softer initial spring rate the progressives have a better ride quality in exchange for a slight handling penalty compared to linear springs. Both are usually better than the stock springs though. For mostly street use I'd probably stick with progressives since they have a better ride quality.
Well written.