General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
EWC88

Default RE: Manual or auto?

Its really hard to choose lol...I do know how to drive a manual ( my father and me own a 96 supra thas manual ) So that isn't really a problem...Yet the only time I drive that car is at the strip or sometimes cruise around were his work is, which isn't that bad..

I mena were I live is crowded and all but doable with stick..

I just didn't know cause I know when I get this GT it will be getting alot of car parts into it to make it fast, so I didn't know if it be better to get the auto or stick..
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

unless you live in an area where you have to drive in a lot of traffic, i would get the 5 speed.

manuals are also quicker than autos.

ilove my 5 speed.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Meh. I drive a 5 speed and an auto on a regular basis and would much rather drive my auto everyday. The 5 speed has lost it's fun factor for me.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
EWC88

ORIGINAL: 2k1gt

Meh. I drive a 5 speed and an auto on a regular basis and would much rather drive my auto everyday. The 5 speed has lost it's fun factor for me.
You have a auto and manual in mustangs?

Man this is so hard to choose..lol
Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I'm the kind of guy who loves to be in control when driving so both my vehicles are manuals. When it comes to congestion I personally have no problem with driving a stick, either. Driving an auto is boring to me, even if they are potentially faster with a little work.

I'm so used to driving sticks that if I need to borrow my parents' cars for any reason I usually find myself trying to push the nonexistent clutch, doh![:@]
Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 PM
saia127

Manual.

I just like the control you get. Plus its a bit quicker.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 AM
thepit56
1st Gear Member

just get the stick and shut up
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thepit56

just get the stick and shut up
I am betting that you have never driven a fast car with a manual before. They suck to drive, especially trying to take off at anything more than an idle.

OP- If you are planning on making the car fast then I would recommend the auto. I hate driving a manual in any type of fast car and trying to keep up with the power. Also with an auto you don't have to worry about grenading your stock clutch by down-shifting. lol Or you could stick with the manual and upgrade the clutch.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

i've had both a 2002 mustang auto and my 06 now stick

I really love stick i feel more tuned with the car autos nice and all but i found stick shift more fun

FYI if you haven't driven stick before practice on a very cheap car that is stick and still moves it is a very diffrent from auto....

Also if you have hills practice your hills or you'll regret things lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

depends if you want to keep the auto stock. i rode in a 70 chevelle with a 454 that was auto with a shift kit and like a 3000 or 3500 stall, and it was amazing. and i am willing to bet that a built auto with a high stall would beat a manual 99% of the time. if you are serious into drag racing, i would build an auto. it shifts faster and you can never miss a gear. my mustang is auto and i like it because it is easier to drive around town, and as i work on everything else, i will build an auto.

Quick Reply: Manual or auto?