General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any advise for the newby

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
dirtygirl

Default Any advise for the newby

Hello. I just purchased a 1995 GT and am wondering if anyone can give me some start up advise. I am a 30 yr old Mom & stepmom. I bought it to get my kids into dragracing.(4, 14 &15)i grew up at the track and got out of it when i got my license (how stupid i know) I was able to set my own path not one my dad had predestined for me. How funny now that i am dragging my kids to the track huh? Anyway i just was wondering and asking for some cheap hp tips and some basic stats for the 1/8th I havent been in the 'scene' for awhile so..,.,.,.,.,. Any advise is welcome [align=right][/align]

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Any advise for the newby

first of all welcome to the forums. You dont see many moms dragging their kids to the track thats awesome. Is the car an auto or 5spd? As for the biggest bang for your buck modifications forst i would bump up the timing to pick up a few free hp. Then look into a set of gears for the rear. Then you could start adding small bolt on parts like an intake, throttle body, underdrive pulleys, headers, exhaust. Then if you want to get deeper into it you could add a nice head/cam/intake manifold set up which would put you about 310-320RWHP or a supercharger to put you in the same power level it all depends how deep your pockets are and how far you want to take the car. Good luck with your project
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 AM
dirtygirl

Thanks! I hope that they will have as much fun as I will =) I have looked into the cold air intake and that prob will be the 1st thing i get. Our pockets will be shallow... my kids play softball (which i coach), baseball, beauty pageants and all 3 do motorcross so this is going to be on the DL for awhile...or not... depending on their interest ! anyhow what is the timing that you suggest and it is an auto so that the kids can enjoy without tearing up and for bracket it is the best But if you come across something else simple just let me know! And thanks for the awesome comment lets hope they think the same!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Wowee what an awesome mom! [8D][8D]

He's talking about distributor timing, advance that & get some "free horsepower" at the cost of needing to run premium fuel (ouch!)

Consider getting a shift kit for the auto tranny to firm up shifting, and if you're going to the strip a lot then maybe some drag slicks to improve traction
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Depending on the track, they may not let someone without a liscence drive unless it's in Jr Drags. But definately start them off with something slow so they can ease into it. The local track should have some sort of program for the youngins.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
dirtygirl

Thanks for the great advise... But I will be the one doing the driving... heck yeah .. let them next year !! The oldest girl is the most excited. Our 'team' name is BAD Girl Racing.
Destiny Amber & Brittany Dirty Girl is because my husband has a rollback business that i also do runs on and our 4 yr old seems to always be dirty so that is the nameof the car Everyone is involved and I'll post something sunday about how we did on Sat. I also drove it to town today and did the super burn out in front of our drive way -- you know... marking my territory
Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
mmacdone

Hey Destiny,

Welcome to the site! How about a supercharger... they could potentially add 100 + Hp. Post up some pics of the 95 GT. Auto or stick?

Mike :-)