General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Assembly Lube / Moly? to buy, why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default Best Assembly Lube / Moly? to buy, why?

I want to get a supply of engine assembly lube, what is the best? Is there differences between "regular assembly lube" and cam lube and moly lube? Whats the best to get and WHY??

Here are a few choices from Summit
[ul][*]Royal Purple RP01335 $14.95[/ul]
[ul][*] Assembly Lubricant, Super Moly, for Camshaft Break-In, 1 lb., Paste, Each $40.99[/ul]
[ul][*]Isky RevLube$16.39 4 oz[/ul]delivers unequaled protection for camshaft lobes, engine bearings, lifters, distributor drive gears, timing chains and gears, wrist-pins, rocker arms, valve stems and guides, and pushrod ends. It features a proprietary, heat-activated, extreme chemical that virtually eliminates bearing, camshaft, and gear wear. Isky RevLube does this with a special microscopic smoothing action that effectively redistributes loading over a wider surface area.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Assembly Lube / Moly? to buy, why?

want to buy soon, so <bump>
[align=right] [/align]
Old 04-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i use lubriplate on everything but the cam, for that i use the provided lube. then i prime for 10 min with a drill with the motor out of car (so if there is a leak im ahead of the game)and an oil pressure guage installed. never had a problem
Old 04-26-2008, 08:12 AM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

I want to get a supply of engine assembly lube, what is the best? Is there differences between "regular assembly lube" and cam lube and moly lube? Whats the best to get and WHY??

Here are a few choices from Summit
[ul][*]Royal Purple RP01335 $14.95[/ul]
[ul][*]Assembly Lubricant, Super Moly, for Camshaft Break-In, 1 lb., Paste, Each $40.99[/ul]

[ul][*]Isky RevLube$16.39 4 oz[/ul]
delivers unequaled protection for camshaft lobes, engine bearings, lifters, distributor drive gears, timing chains and gears, wrist-pins, rocker arms, valve stems and guides, and pushrod ends. It features a proprietary, heat-activated, extreme chemical that virtually eliminates bearing, camshaft, and gear wear. Isky RevLube does this with a special microscopic smoothing action that effectively redistributes loading over a wider surface area.

Assembly lube on the Crank bearings, Use lube in cam box for camshaft bearings and lobes.
The heavyweight moly pastes are for flat tappet(non roller cams.)
DON'T use assembly lube on the piston rings! Motor Oil only(Rings won't seat, car smokes etc.), Fill a shallow pan with motor oil and dip the top of the piston in it then install. If you run synthetic motor oil ( I Do) break the motor in with mineral based oi, then switch later.
assembly lube also goes on both ends of the pushrods and valve stem ends.
Both potential dry start areas.Stock rockers also need assembly lube on pivot points.
Roller rocker just pour some motor oil over the top of them before you put valvecovers on.
Prelubing the motoris also a good idea.
Milodon heavy duty oil pump driveshaft is cheap insurance. I've seen more than one stocker twisted and broken.Especially if you use high volume or pressure pumps. Or you are using heavy oils combined with high RPM. ie Racing.
I hope this helps you out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/95778/56A4DA11D58943F1B1991AED9B8D2A1E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Thanks folks