General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:10 AM
missyfussy

Default Fuel Problems

A while back I went to leave and it started and then died and wouldnt start again. We took the lines loose at the motor and it wasnt pumping any fuel even thought we heard the fuel pump running. So we replaced the fuel pump and after we put it back together it did the same thing. We checked the old fuel pump and it was good. So into the tank again and checking the lines we put it back together and it started and dided again Took the lines loose at the efi filterand it wasnt pumping gas again. Fuel pump you can still hear it running. Finally it started running again like nothing was wrong. Until now,Now it did the same thing and dont know why. The efi filter is new as well as the fuel pump. No fuel to the efi What it wrong with it???? Its a 1996 coupe 3.7
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 AM
96VegasMustang

Default RE: Fuel Problems

Is it possible it's a 3.8L? I haven't seen a 3.7. That notwithstanding, it sounds lik you have a blockage in your fuel lines. I have a 3.8L '96 myself, and I'm assuming you know it's an energized fuel system. The plug to disconnect the fuel pump is in the trunk by the driver's side taillight.

I'm thinking blocked fuel line or even possibly there's something wrong with the connector that you plug / unplug to work on the fuel system. Also, the 1996 came with either a returnless or a returned fuel system. Do you know which one you have?

***EDIT***

I had another idea... Have you checked your actual fuel injectors? They could also be gummed up and not spraying fuel the way they should.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 AM
missyfussy

Yes, it is a 3.8 And we didnt know it was an energized fuel system. What does that mean?
The plug ins plugged/unplugged fine. But did have a lot of problem disconnecting the main fuel line to the efi Would that have something to do with it? You can turn the key on and off and you can hear the pump turning on and off. It has a returned fuel system?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 AM
missyfussy

No, you take the line loose under the hood and it isn't spraying any fuel even though I still hear the fuel pump run. The tank was also clean and the efi filter was dirty. Certain the filter is in the right direction. You can take both lines off the filter and turn the key on and it still not pumping no gas even though fuel pump runs and turns off.